Role of Pharmacokinetics in Drug Discovery and Development
Compared to other disciplines involved in drug discovery and development, with the possible exception of biotechnology, pharmacokinetics is a relative newcomer. If one delves into the literature one can find early articles that relate to the subject matter. For example, in 1847 Buchanan related depth of narcosis to brain content and arterial concentrations of anesthetics, while in the same year, Snow (1847) commented on the need to regulate the strength of medicinal compounds. However, these were early days, and preceded the introduction of analytical technology and the intellectual maturation necessary for the study of pharmacokinetics in its present form.
KeywordsToxicity HPLC Ethyl Marketing Defend
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balant LP, Roseboom H, Gundert-Remy UM (1990) Pharmacokinetic criteria for drug research and development. Adv Drug Res 19: 6–139Google Scholar
- Buchanan A (1847) Physiologic effects of the inhalation of ether. Lond Med Gaz 39: 715–717Google Scholar
- De la Iglesia FA, Greaves P (1989) Role of toxicokinetics in drug safety evaluations. In: Yacobi A, Skelly JP, Batra VK (eds) Toxicokinetics and new drug development. Pergamon, New York, pp 21–32Google Scholar
- Dost FH (1953) Die Blutspiegelkinetik der Konzentrationsabläufe in der Kreislaufflüssigkeit. Thieme, LeipzigGoogle Scholar
- Goldstein A (1949) The interaction of drugs and plasma proteins. Pharmacol Rev 1: 102–165Google Scholar
- Haggard HW (1924) The absorption, distribution and elimination of ethyl ether. I. The amount of ether absorbed in relation to the concentration inhaled and its fate in the body. J Biol Chem 59: 737–751Google Scholar
- Lemberger L (1989) Pharmacokinetics and adverse reactions: an overview. In: Yacobi A, Skelly JP, Batra VK (eds) Toxicokinetics and new drug development. Pergamon, New York, pp 114–123Google Scholar
- Rowland E, Aarons L (eds) (1992) New strategies in drug development and clinical evaluation: the population approach. Conference, Manchester, UK, September 21–23, 1991. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, LuxembourgGoogle Scholar
- Snow J (1847) On the inhalation of the vapour of ether. Lond Med Gaz 39: 498–502Google Scholar
- Teorell T (1937a) Kinetic of distribution of substances administered to the body. I. The extravascular modes of administration. Arch Int Pharmacodyn 57: 205–225Google Scholar
- Teorell T (1937b) Kinetics of distribution of substances administered to the body. II. The intravascular modes of administration. Arch Int Pharmacodyn 57: 226–240Google Scholar
- Widmark EMP (1932) Die theoretischen Grundlagen und die praktische Verwendbarkeit der gerichtlichmedizinischen Alkoholbestimmung. Urban and Schwarzenberg, BerlinGoogle Scholar