The β Sliding Clamp of E. coli DNA Polymerase III Holoenzyme Balances Opposing Functions
The β subunit of E. coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme (pol III holoenzyme) anchors this multiprotein chromosomal replicase to DNA for fast and highly processive replication (Kornberg and Baker 1991; Stukenberg et al. 1991). Its ring shape (Fig. 1) allows it to completely encircle DNA while freely diffusing along the duplex (Stukenberg et al. 1991; Kong et al. 1992). The β “sliding clamp” confers onto pol III holoenzyme a high degree of processivity (50kb; Fay et al. 1981) and a rapid speed of synthesis (750 nucleotides/s; O’Donnell and Kornberg 1985) which results from the continual proximity of the polymerase and DNA through their mutual association with β (Stukenberg et al. 1991).
KeywordsProliferate Cell Nuclear Antigen Accessory Protein Central Cavity Dime Interface Preinitiation Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jarvis TC, Newport JW, von Hippel PH (1991) Stimulation of the processivity of the DNA polymerase of bacteriophage T4 by the polymerase accessory proteins. J Biol Chem 266:1820–1840Google Scholar
- Kornberg A, Baker TA (1991) DNA replication. WH Freeman, New York, pp 165–207Google Scholar
- Nossal NG, Alberts BM (1983) Mechanism of DNA replication catalyzed by purified T4 replication proteins. In: Mathews CK, Kutter EM, Mosig G, Berget PB (eds) Bacteriophage T4. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, pp 71–81Google Scholar
- Onrust R (1993) The structure and function of the accessory proteins of the E. coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. PhD Thesis, Cornell University Medical Center, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Sinha NK, Morris CF, Alberts BM (1980) Efficient in vitro replication of double-stranded DNA templates by a purified T4 bacteriophage replication system. J Biol Chem 225:4290–4303Google Scholar
- Studwell PS, Stukenberg PT, Onrust R, Skangalis M, O’Donnell M (1990) Replication of the lagging strand by DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. UCLA Symp Mol Cell Biol New Ser 127:153–164Google Scholar
- Stukenberg PT (1993) The dynamics of E. coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme in an in vitro lagging strand model system. PhD Thesis, Cornell University Medical College, New YorkGoogle Scholar