FAB Morphology and Prognosis in Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Despite the contribution of new diagnostic tools (immunology, genetics) most leukemias are still diagnosed on basis of examination of blood and bone marrow films. Several attempts had been made to classify leukemias on basis of morphology but none of them was satisfactory enough in respect to its accuracy and reproducibility. Moreover, none of them had a prognostic significance . In 1976 the French-American-British (FAB) morphological classification of acute leukemias has been proposed and soon after it has gained the common acceptance of haematologists [2,3]. However, opinions of its prognostic significance in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) are still confusing.
KeywordsAcute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Prognostic Significance Acute Leukemia Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Pediatric Oncology Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nelson DA (1976) Morphological diagnosis of acute leukemias. Sem Oncol 3: 201–208Google Scholar
- 3.Chessells JM (1982) Acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Sem Haemat 19: 155–171Google Scholar
- 6.Urasińlski T et al. (1991) Modified REZ BFM 79 protocol in relapsed childhood ALL. Haemat Blood Transf (in press)Google Scholar
- 7.Ludwig WD et al. (1991) Incidence and prognostic significance of immunophenotypic subgroups in ALL: experience of the ALL-BFM study 86. (abstract) International Workshop: Recent Advances in Tumour Cell Biology of Acute Leukemias. Berlin, June 1991.Google Scholar
- 10.Wagner VM et al. (1979) Correlation of FAB morphologic criteria and prognosis in acute lymphocytic leukemia of childhood. Am J Ped Haemat Oncol 1: 103–106Google Scholar
- 11.Miller DR et al. (1981) Prognostic importance of morphology (FAB classification) in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Br J Haemat 48: 199–206Google Scholar
- 17.Davey Fr et al. (1983) Prognostic significance of the revised French-American-British classification for acute lymphocytic leukemia. Clin Lab Haemat 3: 343–351Google Scholar