The Light-Regulated cGMP Phosphodiesterase of Vertebrate Photoreceptors: Structure and Mechanism of Activation by Gtα
The cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase (PDE) of vertebrate photoreceptor cells plays a central role in visual signal transduction. Activation of PDE by the G-protein transducin (Gt) is essential for the rapid reduction in cytoplasmic free cGMP concentration that is thought to be responsible for light-induced decreases in membrane current that lead to hyperpolarization and synaptic signaling. Mice with a mutation in a PDE subunit gene suffer from a hereditary retinal degeneration (rd; Bowes et al. 1990; Pittler and Baehr 1991).
KeywordsCyclic Nucleotide Phosphodiesterase Inhibitory Subunit Noncatalytic Site cGMP Phosphodiesterase Vertebrate Photoreceptor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arshavsky VYu, Gray-Keller MP, Bownds MD (1991) cGMP suppresses GTPase activity of a portion of transducin equimolar to phosphodiesterase in frog rod outer segments. J Biol Chem 266:18350–18357.Google Scholar
- Bownds MD, Arshavsky VY, Calvert PD, Dumke CL (1992) Rod outer segment concentration and structure influence the apparent kinetics of cGMP phosphodiesterase. Invest Ophthal Vis Sci 33:873.Google Scholar
- Brown RL (1992) Functional regions of the inhibitory subunit of retinal rod cGMP phosphodiesterase identified by site-specific mutagenesis and fluorescence spectroscopy. Biochemistry (in press).Google Scholar
- Charbonneau H, Prusti RK, LeTrong H, Sonnenburg WK, Mullaney PJ, Walsh KA, Beavo JA (1990) Identification of a noncatalytic cGMP-binding domain conserved in both the cGMP-stimulated and photoreceptor cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87:288–292.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kühn H (1981) Interactions of rod cell proteins with the disk membrane: influence of light, ionic strength, and nucleotides. Current Topics Memb Transp 15:171–201.Google Scholar
- Malinski JA, Wensel TG (1992a) Effects of phospholipid composition and vesicle size on membrane binding and G protein-mediated activation of cGMP phosphodiesterase. Biophys J 61:A427.Google Scholar
- McNaughton PA (1990) Light response of vertebrate photoreceptors. Phyiol Rev 70:847–843.Google Scholar
- Ovchinnikov YuA, Lipkin VM, Kumarev VP, Gubanov VV, Khramtsov NV, Akmedov NB, Zagranichny VE, Muradov KG (1986) Cyclic GMP phosphodiesterase from cattle retina: amino acid sequence of the gamma-subunit and nucleotide sequence of the corresponding cDNA. FEBS Lett 204:288–292.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar