The Stratosphere in General Circulation Models
A simple discussion of the processes which maintain the mean state of the stratosphere is given in order to demonstrate how the stratosphere might influence the tropospheric circulation. A series of GCM studies which indicate that the strength of the polar night jet is important in determining the planetary wave structures in the troposphere are then summarized. These experiments are used to determine the tropospheric response to stratospheric changes during northern winter, when the largest influence is expected. The climatological response and the time scale on which the response develops has been determined using separate experiments. Finally, problems with the physical parameterizations which are typically encountered when extending tropospheric GCMs to include the full stratosphere and lower mesosphere are summarized.
KeywordsGravity Wave Zonal Wind Planetary Wave Lower Stratosphere Meridional Plane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dickinson, R. E., 1984: Infrared radiative cooling in the mesosphere and lower thermosphere. J. Atmos. Sci., 46, 995–1008.Google Scholar
- Fleming, E. L., S. Chandra, M. R. Schoeberl and J. J. Barnett, 1988: Monthly mean global climatology of temperature, wind, geopotential height, and pressure for 0-120 km.. NASA Tech. Memorandum TM- 100697, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland, NTIS PB88-168240/AS, 85 pp.Google Scholar
- Kodera, K., 1992: Influence of the stratospheric circulation change on the troposphere in northern hemisphere winter. The role of the stratosphere in global change., M. L. Chanin and M. A. Geller, Eds., Vol. this volume, NATO ASI Series C: Mathematical and Physical Sciences.Google Scholar
- Kodera, K., M. Chiba, K. Yamazaki and K. Shiba, 1991: A possible influence of the polar night stratospheric jet on the subtropical tropospheric jet., J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 69, 715–721.Google Scholar
- Mahlman, J. D., and L. J. Umscheid, 1987: Comprehensive modeling of the middle atmosphere: The influence of resolution. Transport Processes in the Middle Atmosphere, G. Visconti and R. Garcia, Eds., D. Reidel, Hingham, Mass., 251–266.Google Scholar
- Ramanathan, V., and R. E. Dickinson, 1979: The role of stratospheric ozone in the zonal and seasonal radiative energy balance of the earthtroposphere system. J. Atmos. Sci., 36, 1084–1104.Google Scholar