Trends in Surface UV Radiation
Enhancements in UV radiation (due to stratospheric ozone depletion) may affect a number of biological processes. Most of these processes are strong functions of wavelength, making them more or less sensitive to ozone depletion. For some of the most sensitive biological systems, significant UV dose enhancements may have already occurred.
KeywordsAction Spectrum Ozone Depletion United Nation Environmental Programme Tropospheric Ozone Total Ozone Column
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Correll DL, Clark CO, Goldberg B, Goodrich VR, Hayes Jr DR, Klein WH and Schecher WD (1992) Spectral ultraviolet-B radiation fluxes at the earth’s surface: long-term variations at 39°N, 77°W. J Geophys Res 97: 7579–7591Google Scholar
- Garadazha MP and Nezval Ye I (1987) Ultraviolet radiation in large cities and possible ecological consequences of its changing flux due to anthropogenic impact. In: Proceedings of Symposium on Climate and Human Health. World Climate Programme Applications [WCPA] Report-2, LeningradGoogle Scholar
- Longstreth JD, deGruijl FR, Takizawa Y and van der Leun JC ( 1991 update) Human Health. In: Environmental Effects of Ozone Depletion. JC van der Leun, M Tevini, and RC Worrest (eds) United Nations Environmental Programme, Nairobi, KenyaGoogle Scholar
- Lubin D, Mitchell BG, Frederick JE, Roberts AD, Booth CR, Lucas T and Neuschuler D (1992) A contribution toward understanding the biospherical significance of Antarctic ozone depletion. J Geophys Res 97: 7817–7828Google Scholar
- Madronich S, Björn LO, Ilyas M and Caldwell MM (1991) Chapter 1: Changes in biologically active ultraviolet radiation reaching the Earth’s surface. In: Environmental Effects of Ozone Depletion 1991 Update. JC van der Leun, M Tevini, and RC Worrest (eds) United Nations Environmental Programme, Nairobi, KenyaGoogle Scholar
- Oltmans SJ, Komhyr WD, Franchois PR and Matthews WA (1989) Tropospheric Ozone: Variations from Surface and ECC Ozonesonde Observations. In: Ozone in the Atmosphere. Proceedings of the Quadrennial Ozone Symposium 1988 and Tropospheric Ozone Workshop, Hampton VA. 1988 R Bojkov, and P Fabian (eds) Deepak Publishing, Göttingen Federal Republic of GermanyGoogle Scholar