Dynamics of the Solid Earth (DOSE): The Italian-German-Greek-Swiss Contribution to NASA’s DOSE Project in the Calabrian/Hellenic Arcs
The ongoing geodynamic processes in the Alpine-Mediterranean area are primarily governed by the relative movement of the African lithospheric plate against the Eurasian plate resulting in a predominantly compressional regime along the zone of contact. A counterclockwise rotation of the African plate caused by a higher spreading rate of the floor of the South Atlantic results in a northward directed push leading to lithospheric shortening in the Mediterranean-Alpine belt of about 5 to 10 mm/y. With a NW-SE oriented spreading in the North Atlantic (about 18 mm/y) the zone of contact is under compression thus providing the framework for mountain building processes accompanied by active rifling in preconditioned zones of lithospheric weakness. Although this framework is generally accepted great uncertainty remains with regard to the exact kinematic and dynamic pattern of the large-scale tectonic collision between these two major lithospheric plates. Satellite based geodetic networks have been established in the past 5 years to elucidate the present-day deformation field in the region of the Calabrian and West Hellenic Arcs. Results of the first analysis are being presented in this paper.
KeywordsGeodetic Network African Plate Ionian Island Dual Frequency Receiver High Spreading Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- KANIUTH, K., TREMEL, H., STUBER, K., DREWES, H., ZERBINI, S. and P. BALDI, 1989. Evaluation of the 1988 Tyrrhenian-Pelagian (TYPE) GPS Campaign. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on the WEGENER/MEDLAS Project, Scheveningen, 396–407.Google Scholar
- BERCKHEMER, H. and K. HSÜ (eds.), 1982: Alpine-Mediterranean Geodynamics, AGU-GSA Geodynamics Series, Vol. 7.Google Scholar
- DREWES, H., KANIIJTH, K., STUBER, K., TREMEL, H., ZERBINI, S., MÜLLER, M. and G. VERRONE, 1991. Crustal deformation study by GPS observations in the Central Mediterranean, Calabrian Arc Project. IUGG Symposium, Vienna, 6 pp.Google Scholar
- KAHLE, H.-G., MÜLLER, M.V., MUELLER, Si, VEIS, G., BILLIRIS, H., PARADISSIS, D., DREWES, H., KANIUTH, K., STUBER, K., TREMEL, H., ZERBINI, S., CORRADO, G. and G. VERRONE, 1992. Monitoring West Hellenic Arc Tectonics and Calabrian Arc Tectonics (“WHAT A CAT”) Using the Global Positioning System. AGU Crustal Dynamics Project Monograph, In press.Google Scholar
- MUELLER, St. and H.-G. KAHLE, 1992. Crust-mantle evolution, structure and dynamics in the Mediterranean-Alpine region. AGU Crustal Dynamics Project Monograph, In press.Google Scholar
- REIGBER, Ch., SCHWINTZER, P., DREWES, H. and F.-H. MASSMANN, 1991. Ten years of SLR data analysis at DGFI/I: Gravity field, earth rotation, plate kinematics, and regional deformation. NASA’s Final Crustal Dynamics Project Meeting, Goddard Space Flight Center, October 91.Google Scholar