Regeneration of Plants from Protoplasts of Sorghum (Sorghum vulgare)
Sorghum vulgare is one of the most important cereal crops for arid regions. It is mainly grown for making alcohol and vinegar, pulp and animal feed, and is also used for food in some developing countries.
KeywordsActivate Charcoal Embryogenic Callus Shoot Formation Protoplast Isolation Proliferation Medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brar DS, Rambold S, Constabel F, Gamborg OL (1980) Isolation, fusion and culture of Sorghum and corn protoplasts. Z Pflanzenphysiol 96 : 269–275Google Scholar
- Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J (1982) Molecular cloning, a laboratory mannual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Mu QH, Chen ZG, Yang ZT, Wang YX, Zhang ZM, Liu ZD, Zhang GL, Tian HX (1982) Culture of stem tips of sorghum-sugarcane hybrid plants. Kexue Tongbao 27:448Google Scholar
- Smith RH, Bhaskaran S (1986) Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench. In: Bajaj YPS (ed) Biotechnology in agriculture and forestry, vol 2. Crops I. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 220–233Google Scholar
- Thomas E, King PJ, Potrykus I (1977) Shoot and embryo-like structure formation from cultured tissues of Sorghum bicolor. Naturwissenschaften 64:587Google Scholar
- Vasil IK (1987) Developing cell and tissue culture systems for the improvement of cereal and grass crops. J Plant Physiol 128:193–218Google Scholar
- Wang P, Chen YR (1980) Effects of growth conditions of anther-donor plants on the production of pollen plants in wheat anther culture. Acta Genet Sin 7:64–71Google Scholar
- Wei ZM, Xu ZH (1989) Plant regeneration from Sorghum protoplast culture. Plant Physiol Commun 6:45–46Google Scholar
- Wei ZH, Xu ZH (1990b) Transformation of Sorghum protoplasts. Proc Annu Meet Biotechnology (1989–1990), National High Tech Program, Beijing, p 99 (Abstr)Google Scholar
- Wei ZM, Xu ZH (1992) Expression of a foreign gene in plants derived from PEG-mediated DNAtreated protoplasts of Sorghum vulgare. Annu Rep National Laboratory of Plant Molecular Genetics, Shanghai Inst of Plant Physiology, Shanghai, pp 28–29Google Scholar
- Zhou WB (1978) A preliminary study on the anther culture of Sorghum. Acta Genet Sin 5:337–338Google Scholar
- Zhu Q, Bai YY, Tang T, Mao HZ, Loo SW (1989) Construction of intermediate vector pBZ6102 and the expression of chimeric CAT gene in transformed tobacco. Acta Biol Exp Sin 22:259–267Google Scholar