A Hierarchy of the Structure of Matter from the Viewpoint of Information Retrieval and Structure-Property Correlations
A (regrettably only) two-dimensional chart is presented, systematising and summarising the structure of matter. Within this, we zoom with higher magnification at the areas relevant to chemical information retrieval, structure-property correlations, especially related to the design of bioactive molecules. The chart covers small to large scale and low to higher resolution. It points out some of the parallels between man-made (e.g., drug, transistor) and natural (hormone, receptor, ribosome) assemblies of matter. The need to create integrated systems of this type is specially indicated by newer developments in molecular biology, materials science, computer systems and systems analysis. The scientist needs to find information and correlations over a sliding scale, with continuously variable window and magnification.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Powers of Ten; Morrison, P., Morrison, P., Freeman. W.H.: San Francisco, 1982. (A book about the relative size of things in the Universe and the effect of adding another zero.)Google Scholar
- 2.Cosmic View: The Universe in 40 Jumps ; Boeke, K.; John Day: New York, 1957.Google Scholar
- 3.Gillet, V.J., Downs, G.M., Holliday, J.D., Lynch, M.F., Dethlefsen, W. ‘Searching a Full Generics Database’. In these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 4.Christie, B., Moock, T. ‘Multi-step Reaction Schemes in the Reaction Access System (REACCS)’. In these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 5.Artymiuk, P.J., Grindley, H.M., Mitchell, E.M., Rice, D.W., Ujah, E.C., Willett, P. ‘Representation and Searching of 3-D Protein Structures’. In these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 6.Martin, Y.C., van Drie, J.H. ‘Identifying Unique Core Molecules from the Output of a 3-D Database Search’. In these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 7.Guner, O.F., Henry, D.A., Christie, B.D., Hughes, D.W., Miller, M.A. ‘Integrated Approach to Three-Dimensional Information Management with MACCS-3D’. Paper presented at the 199th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Boston, April 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.Andrews, J.D., Guner, O.F., Hughes, D.W., Miller, M.A., Rock, C.A. ‘Using a Three-dimensional Chemical Database Management System to Store and Analyse the results of Molecular Dynamics Studies’. Paper presented at the 199th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Boston, April 1990.Google Scholar
- 14.Fractals Everywhere ; Barnsley, M., Academic Press: London, 1988.Google Scholar