Ontogenetic Development of the Subcommissural Organ with Reference to the Flexural Organ
The ontogeny of the chick and rat subcommisural organ (SCQ) has been the subject of several reports. Some of these studies were performed on the rat SCO (Kohl and Linderer 1973; Marcinkiewicz and Bouchaud 1983, 1986; Rakic and Sidman 1968; Naumann et al. 1987; Castañeyra-Perdomo et al. 1983). The SCO of chicken embryos represents the nonmammalian organ model whose ontogenetic development has been most thoroughly investigated (Wingstrand 1953; Ziegels 1977; Schoebitz et al. 1986; Bruel et al. 1987; Naumann et al. 1987; Karoumi et al. 1990). Using classical stains for neurosecretion, Wingstrand (1953) and Ziegels (1977) have reported that the secretory material of the SCO first appears in 7-day-old chick embryos.
KeywordsChick Embryo Secretory Granule Ependymal Cell Central Canal Apical Cytoplasm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Castaneyra-Perdomo A, Meyer G, Ferres-Torres R (1983) Development of the subcommissural organ in the albino mouse. J Hirnforsch 24: 368–370Google Scholar
- Gabe M (1968) Techniques histologiques. Masson, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Matsuura T, Kumamoto K, Ebara S, Sano Y (1989) Serotonergic innervation of the mammalian subcommissural organ: an immunohistochemical study. Biomed Res 10 [Suppl 3]: 177–186Google Scholar
- Naumann W, Miiller G, Kloss P (1987) Immunoreactive glycoprotein of the subcommissural organ in the embryonic stages of the vertebrate brain. Wiss Z Karl Marx Univ Leipzig Math Naturwiss R 36: 17–20Google Scholar
- Sternberger LA, Hardy PH Jr, Cuculis JJ, Meyer HG (1970) The unlabeled antibody enzyme method of immunohistochemistry; preparation of properties of soluble antigen-antibody complex (horseradish peroxidase-antiperoxidase) and its use in identification of spirochetes. J Histochem Cytochem 18: 315–333PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wiklund L, Lundberg JJ, Møllgárd K (1977) Species differences in serotonergic innervation and secretory activity of rat, gerbil, mouse and rabbit subcommissural organ. Acta Physiol Scand [Suppl] 452: 27–30Google Scholar
- Wingstrand KG (1953) Neurosecretion and antidiuretic activity in chick embryos with remarks on the subcommissural organ. Arch Zool (Stockh) 6: 41–67Google Scholar
- Ziegels J (1977) Etude histochimique de l’organe sous-commissural du poulet au cours du development. CR Soc Biol 171: 1306–1308Google Scholar