An Analysis of Floc Separation Characteristics in Chemical Wastewater Treatment
Chemical treatment of wastewater consists of three unit processes: coagulation/precipitation, flocculation and floc separation, the latter normally being carried out by sedimentation. The reaction step (coagulation/precipitation) is obviously of fundamental importance to the total treatment result, but the separation steps (flocculation and floc separation) have far greater importance from an economic point of view, since separation normally takes hours to complete while the reaction is completed within seconds.
KeywordsStarch Sludge Sedimentation Eter Turbidity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ødegaard, H.: Norwegian Experiences with Chemical Treatment of Raw Wastewater. Proc. Int. Conf. on: Wastewater Management in Coastal Areas, Montpellier, France, April, 1992Google Scholar
- Ødegaard, H., Fettig, J., Ratnaweera, H.: Coagulation with Prepolymerized Metal Salts. In: Chemical Water and Wastewater Treatment, H.H. Hahn and R. Klute (eds.). Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York 1990, pp. 189–220Google Scholar
- Ødegaard, H.: Orthokinetic Flocculation of Phosphate Precipitates in a Multicompartment Reactor with Non-ideal Flow. Prog. Wat. Tech., 1979, Suppl. 1, pp. 61–88. Pergamon PressGoogle Scholar
- Weholt, Ø.: Capacity Increase in Settling Units by the Use of Polymers. Proc. VAR 84-conference, H. Odegaard (ed.). TAPIR Publ., Trondheim, 1984 (in Norwegian)Google Scholar
- Fettig, J., Ratnaweera, H. and Ødegaard, H.: Synthetic Organic Polymers as Primary Coagulants in Wastewater Treatment. Water Supply, Vol. 8, Jønkøping, 1990, pp. 19–26Google Scholar
- Sagberg, P., Sæter, R. and Berge, A.B.: Increasing the Surface Load at a Direct-Precipitation Plant, VEAS, Norway. In: Chemical Water and Wastewater Treatment, H.H. Hahn and R. Klute (eds.). Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York 1990, pp. 271–282Google Scholar
- Klute, R.: Destabilization and Aggregation in Turbulent Pipe Flow. In: Chemical Water and Wastewater Treatment, H.H. Hahn and R, Klute (eds.). Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York 1990, pp. 33–54Google Scholar
- Skjelfoss, E.: Personal communication, March 1992Google Scholar