Recognizing Patterns for Software Development Prediction and Evaluation
to build models of the software process, product, and other forms of experience (e.g., effort, schedule, and reliability) for the purpose of prediction.
to recognize and quantify the influential factors (e.g. personnel capability, storage constraints) on various issues of interest (e.g. productivity and quality) for the purpose of understanding and monitoring the development.
to evaluate software products and processes from different perspectives (e.g. productivity, fault rate) by comparing them with projects with similar characteristics.
to understand what we can and cannot predict and control so we can monitor it more carefully.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V. R. Basili and H. D. Rombach. “The TAME Project: Towards Improvement-Oriented Software Environments,” IEEE Trans. Software Eng., 14 (6), June, 1988.Google Scholar
- L. Briand, V. Basili and C. Hetmanski. “Providing an Empirical Basis for Optimizing the Verification and Testing Phases of Software Development,” IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering, North Carolina, October 1992.Google Scholar
- L. Briand, V. Basili and W. Thomas. “A Pattern Recognition Approach for Software Engineering Data Analysis,” IEEE Trans. Software Eng., November, 1992.Google Scholar
- L. Briand and A. Porter. “An Alternative Modeling Approach for Predicting Error Profiles in Ada Systems,” EUROMETRICS’92: European Conference on Quantitative Evaluation of Software and Systems, Brussels, April, 1992.Google Scholar
- B. Boehm. Software Engineering Economics, Prentice-Hall, 1981.Google Scholar
- R. Charette. Software Engineering Risk Analysis and Management, McGraw-Hill, 1989.Google Scholar
- C. Kemerer. “An Empirical Validation of Software Cost Estimation Models,” Communications of the ACM, 30 (5), May, 1987.Google Scholar
- R. W. Selby and A. A. Porter. “Learning from Examples: Generation and Evaluation of Decision Trees for Software Resource Analysis,” IEEE Trans. Software Eng. 14 (12), December, 1988.Google Scholar
- J. Tou and R. Gonzalez. Pattern Recognition Principles, 1974.Google Scholar