Characterization of Opioid-Binding Proteins and Other Molecules Related to Opioid Function
Nearly 2 decades after their discovery in mammalian brain, opioid receptors remain largely uncharacterized structurally and functionally. While a great body of pharmacological and biochemical information has accumulated from studies of membrane-bound opioid receptors, continued difficulties in purifying these receptors has precluded investigators from obtaining such standard knowledge as the receptor’s amino acid sequence, its overall conformation in the cell membrane, the location of its ligand-binding site, and the identity of functional molecules associated with it.
KeywordsAdenylate Cyclase Opioid Receptor Neural Cell Adhesion Molecule Opioid Ligand Antiidiotypic Antibody
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrawal S, Ikeuchi T, Sun D, Sarin PS, Konopka A, Maizel J, Zamecnik PC (1989) Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus in early infected and chronically infected cells by antisense oligodeoxynucleotides and their phosphorothioate analogues. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 7790–7794PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chang KJ, Eckel RW, Blanchard SG (1982) Opioid peptides induce reduction of enkephalin receptors in cultured neuroblastoma cells. Nature 296:446-448 Cho TM, Hasegawa J, Ge BL, Loh HH (1986) Purification to apparent homogeneity of a mu-specific opioid receptor from rat brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 4138–4142Google Scholar
- Dixon RAF, Kobilka BK, Strader DJ, Benovic JL, Dohlman HG, Frielle T, Bolanowski MA, Bennett CD, Rands E, Diehl RE, Mumford RA, Slater EE, Sigal IS, Caron MG, Lefkowitz RJ, Strader CD (1986) Cloning of the gene and cDNA for mammalian β-adrenergic receptor and homology with rhodopsin. Nature 321: 75–79PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grenningloh G, Rehm EJ, Goodman CS (1991) Genetic analysis of growth cone guidance in Drosophila: Fascidin II functions as a neuronal recognition molecule. Cell 67: 45–57Google Scholar
- Kabanov AV, Vinogradov SV, Ovcharenko AV, Krivonos AV, Melik-Nubarou NS, Kiseler VI, Severin ES (1990) A new class of antivirals: antisense oligonucleotides combined with a hydrophobic substituent effectively inhbit influenza virus reproduction and synthesis of virus-specific proteins in MDCK cells. FEBS Lett 259: 327–330PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kavathas P, Sukhatme VP, Herzenberg LA, Parnes JR (1984) Isolation of the gene encoding the human T-lymphocyte differentiation antigen Leu2 ( T8) by gene transfer and cDNA subtraction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 7688–7692Google Scholar
- Valentine-Braun KA, Northrup JK, Hollenberg MD (1986) Epidermal growth factor (urogastrone)-mediated phosphorylation of a 35 kDa substrate in human placental membranes: relationship to the β ubunit of the guanine nucleotide regulatory complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 83: 236–240PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Von Ruden T, Gilboa E (1989) Inhibition of human T-cell leukemia virus type I replication in primary human T cells that express antisense RNA. J Virol 63: 677–682Google Scholar