Design and Fabrication Considerations for Extending Integrated DC-SQUIDs to the Deep Sub-Micron Regime
Over the past decade many groups around the world have successfully produced planar low-Tc dc SQUIDs with integrated input coils. While a number of dc SQUIDs with sub-μm junctions have been demonstrated, practical integrated dc SQUIDs have generally been fabricated with minimum lithographic features of 2–5μm. In this paper some of the important design and fabrication issues associated with scaling practical integrated dc SQUIDs to deep sub-μm dimensions are discussed.
KeywordsCritical Current Density Minimum Feature Size Input Coil Energy Sensitivity Entire Wafer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. M. Jaycox and M.B. Ketchen, IEEE Trans. Magn. ÌT, 400 (1981); M.B. Ketchen and J.M. Jaycox, Appi. Phys Lett. 40, 736 (1982).Google Scholar
- M.B. Ketchen, D. Pearson, M. Bhushan, A. Kleinsasser, C.-K. IIu, M. Smyth, J. Ix)gan, K. Stawiasz, E Baran, M. Jaso, T. Ross, K. Petrillo, M. Manny, S. Basavaiah, S. Brodsky, S.B. Kaplan, and W.J. Gallagher, Appl. Phys. Lett., to be published (1991).Google Scholar
- C. D. Tesche and J. Clarke, J. Low Temp. Phys. 29, 301 (1977).Google Scholar
- D.J. Van I larlingen, R.I-I. Koch, and J. Clarke, Appl. Phys. Lett.41., 197 (1982).Google Scholar
- D.D. Awschalom, J.R. Rozen, M.B. Ketchen, W.J. Gallagher, A.W. Kleinsasser, R.L. Sandstrom, B. Bumble, Appl. Phys. Lett. 53, 2108 (1988).Google Scholar
- C.D. Fesche, K.11. Brown, A.C. Callegari, M.-M. Chen, .1.11. Greiner, II.C..Jones, M.B. Ketchen, K.K.Kim, A.W. Kleinsasser, II.A. Notarys, G. Proto, R.H. Wang, and T. Yogi, IEEE Trans. Magn. 21, 1032 (1985).Google Scholar
- V. roglietti, W.J. Gallagher, M.B. Ketchen, A.W. Kleinsasser, R.H Koch, S.I. Raider and R.L. Sandstrom, Appl. Phys. Lett. 49, 1393, (1986).Google Scholar
- M.B. Ketchen, M. Bhushan, S.B. Kaplan, and W.J. Gallagher, IF,IIL Trans. Magn. 27, 3005 (1991).Google Scholar
- II. Kroger, L.N. Smith and D.W. Jillie, Appl. Phys. Lett. 39, 280 (1981).Google Scholar
- C.-K. 11u, N. Mazzeo, S.J. Wind, D.J.Pearson, and M.B. Ketchen to he published in the proceedings of the International Conference on Metallurgical C7oatings and Thin films, San Diego, (.A (1991).Google Scholar