Automatic Recognition of Printed Music
There is a need for an automatic recognition system for printed music scores. The work presented here forms the basis of an omnifont, size-independent system with significant tolerance of noise and rotation of the original image. A structural decomposition technique is used based on an original transformation of the line adjacency graph. An example of output is given in the form of a data file and its score reconstruction.
KeywordsAutomatic Recognition Music Score Staff Line Vertical Link Musical Symbol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. P. Carter, Automatic Recognition of Printed Music in the Context of Electronic Publishing, Ph.D. dissertation, Univ. Surrey, 1989.Google Scholar
- A. T. Clarke, “Inexpensive Optical Character Recognition of Music Notation: A New Alternative for Publishers,” Proc. Computers in Music Conf., Lancaster, 1988.Google Scholar
- I. Fujinaga, Optical Music Recognition using Projections, M. A. thesis, McGill Univ., Montreal, 1988.Google Scholar
- W. B. Hewlett and Selfridge-Field, E., Computing in Musicology: A Directory of Research, Center for Computer Assisted Research in the Humanities, Menlo Park, CA, 1990.Google Scholar
- J. V. Mahoney, Automatic Analysis of Music Score Images, B. Sc. dissertation, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 1982.Google Scholar
- N. G. Martin, Towards Computer Recognition of the Printed Musical Score, B. Sc. dissertation, Thames Polytechnic, London, 1987.Google Scholar
- T. Matsushima et al., “Automated recognition system for musical score,” Bulletin of Science and Engineering Research Laboratory, Waseda Univ., 112, pp. 25–52, 1985.Google Scholar
- T. Pavlidis, Algorithms for Graphics and Image Processing, Computer Science Press, Rockville, MD, 1982.Google Scholar
- D. S. Prerau, Computer Pattern Recognition of Standard Engraved Music Notation, Ph.D. dissertation, MIT, 1970.Google Scholar
- D. H. Pruslin, Automatic Recognition of Sheet Music, Sc.D. dissertation, MIT, 1967.Google Scholar
- A. Tojo and H. Aoyama, “Automatic recognition of music score,” Proc. 6th ICPR, p. 1223, 1982.Google Scholar
- Tønnesland, S., SYMFONI: System for Notekoding, Ph.D. dissertation, Institute of Informatics, Oslo, Norway, 1986.Google Scholar