Investigation of Indoor Air Pollution Sources in Climate Chambers: Emissions from Textile Floor Coverings
While the pollution of both outdoor and occupational atmospheres by chemicals has received considerable attention for many years, it is only recently that scientists have become aware that non-occupational indoor air is also contaminated by a large variety of inorganic and in particular organic compounds, the concentrations of which frequently exceed those of outdoor air by a factor of up to 10 (Seifert 1987; Hawthorne et al. 1986; Repace 1982). Many indoor air pollutants have been identified and quantified in numerous field studies (Yocom 1982; Lebret et al. 1986; Krause et al. 1987). The sometimes high concentrations of indoor air compounds and the fact that people spend most of their time (19–22 h) (Sexton and Hayward 1987) indoors may lead to the health effects, or at least to the irritations, which have been referred to as the “sick building syndrome” (Molhave et al. 1991).
KeywordsVolatile Organic Compound Climate Chamber Atmos Environ Residence Time Distribution Styrene Butadiene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Krause C, Mailahn W, Nagel R, Schulz C, Seifert B, Ullrich D (1987) Pentachlorphenol containing wood preservatives: analyses and evaluation. Proceedings of the 4th international conference on indoor air quality and climate, vol 1, Berlin, 17–21 Aug 1987, p 201Google Scholar
- Molhave L, Jensen JG, Larsen S (1991) Subjective reactions to volatile organic compounds as air pollutants. Atmos Environ 24A: 1283–93Google Scholar
- Schröder E, Klingenberger H (1988) Abhängigkeit der chemischen Zusammensetzung der Emissionen SBR-beschichteter textiler Bodenbeläge von der Compoundierung und von den Produktionsbedingungen. Deutsches Teppichforschungsinstitut, AachenGoogle Scholar
- Seifer B (1987) Luftverunreinigungen im Innenraum unter Berücksichtigung der Situation bei Smogwetterlagen. Schriftenr Ver Wasser Boden Lufthyg Berlin Dahlem 69:143–149Google Scholar
- Sollinger S, Levsen K, Wünsch G (1991) Indoor air pollution by organic emission from textile floor coverings. Atmos Environ (submitted)Google Scholar
- Sollinger S, Levsen K, Seidel P (1992) Eine Prüfkammer zur Bestimmung der Emissionen leichtflüchtiger Verbindungen (VOC‘s) aus Innenraum-materialien. Staub Reinhalt Luft 52:31–34Google Scholar
- Yocom JE (1982) Indoor-outdoor air quality relationships. JAPCA 32:500Google Scholar