Experience with Subcutaneous Versus Intravenous Administration of Erythropoietin in Haemodialysis Patients
The efficacy of recombinant human erythropoietin (rhEPO) in correcting the anaemia in patients with end-stage renal failure has been demonstrated in several clinical studies [1, 6, 9, 18, 19]. In these studies rhEPO was given intravenously. The optimal route of rhEPO administration has not been clearly established. In the study of MacDougall and coworkers in patients on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis identical rhEPO doses were administered intravenously (i. v.) and subcutaneously (s. c.). Peak levels and bioavailability of s. c. rhEPO are lower than those of i. v. rhEPO . Bommer et al.  reported s. c. administration of rhEPO to be effective at a smaller weekly dose than i. v. rhEPO. Similar results have been published by Zehnder and Blumberg . However, these findings were challenged .
KeywordsBurning Creatinine Heparin Tuberculosis Anemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bommer J, Weinreich T, Ritz E, Zeier M, Bommer G (1989) Efficacy of subcutaneous or intravenous recombinant human erythropoietin therapy in dialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 4: 471AGoogle Scholar
- 7.Dreyling KW, Steinhauer HB, Geiger H, Hörl WH, Schollmeyer P (1989) Platelet function under recombinant human erythropoietin therapy in haemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 4: 472AGoogle Scholar
- 8.Edmunds ME, Walls J, Tucker B, Baker LRI,Tomson CRV,Ward M, Cunningham J, Moore R, Winearls CG (1989) Seizures in haemodialysis patients treated with recombinant human erythropoietin. Nephrol Dial Transplant 4: 1065–1069Google Scholar
- 11.Grützmacher P, Bergmann M,WeinreichT, Nattermann U, Reimers E, Pollok M (1988) Beneficial and adverse effects of correction of anaemia by recombinant human erythropoietin in patients on maintenance haemodialysis. Contrib Nephrol 66: 104–113Google Scholar
- 14.Meisl F, Manker W, Loibl U, Buxbaum M, Stockenhuber F, Steinbach K (1990) No therapeutic or economic advantage of erythropoietin application by the subcutaneous route. 11th International Congress of Nephrology, Tokyo, 202AGoogle Scholar
- 16.Raine AEG (1990) Seizures and hypertension events. Semin Nephrol 10(2) [Suppl l]: 40–50Google Scholar
- 19.Winearls CG, Pippard MJ, Downing MR, Oliver DO, Reid C, Cotes PM (1986) Effect of human erythropoietin derived from recombinant DNA on the anaemia of patients maintained by chronic haemodialysis. Lancet 2: 1176–1179Google Scholar