Evaluating Weighted Search Terms as Boolean Queries
A method for automatically generating Boolean queries from weighted search terms is described. The method is intended to exploit traditional Boolean Information Retrieval Systems in a more user-friendly way. In addition, the method partitions the answer set delivered by the Boolean system into sorted subsets of information items. This, in turn, allows control of the size of an answer set by simply adjusting retrieval status value thresholds. The principal advantage of the method we present is that its computational complexity is low in comparison to many other known methods. It is shown that efficiency can be improved significantly by a query reduction method. In addition, we introduce a more sophisticated method which further enhances retrieval effectiveness through the use of maximum term frequencies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bov 84]Bovey, J.D., Robertson, S.E.: An algorithm for weighted searching on a Boolean system. Information Technology: Research and Development 3 (1), 1984, pp. 84–87.Google Scholar
- [Coo 88]
- [Fre 83]Frei, H.P., Jauslin, J.-F.: Graphical Presentation of Information and Services: A User-Oriented Interface. Information Technology: Research and Development 2 (1), Jan. 1983, pp. 23–42.Google Scholar
- Jam 79] Jamieson, S.H.: The economic implementation of experimental retrieval techniques on a very large scale using an intelligent terminal. Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Inf. Storage and Retr., Dallas, 1979, pp. 45–51Google Scholar
- [Nor 81]Noreault, T., McGill, M., Koll, M.B.: A Performance Evaluation of Similarity Measures, Document Term Weighting Schemes and Representations in a Boolean Environment In: Oddy, R.N. et al. Information Retrieval Research, Butterwortiis, London, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Pai 84]Paice, C.D.: Soft evaluation of Boolean search queries in information retrieval systems. Information Technology: Research and Development 3 (1), Jan. 1984.Google Scholar
- [Pan 86]Panyr, J.: Die Theorie der Fuzzy-Mengen und Information-Retrieval Systeme. Nachr. f Dokum. 37 (3), 1986.Google Scholar
- [Rad 82]Radecki, T.: Reducing die Perils of Merging Boolean and Weighted Retrieval. Journal of Documentation 38 (31 1982, pp. 207–211.Google Scholar
- [Sal 83]
- [Sal 88a]
- [Sal 88b]
- [Sal 89]Saltón, G.: Automatic Text Processing: The Transformation, Analysis, and Retrieval of Information by Computer. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1989Google Scholar