The Secretion of Colicin V
Colicin V was the first colicin to be described in the literature. In 1925, Gratia described a factor which he called factor V which was biologically active against “coli” (Gratia, 1925). This factor was studied further and given the name “colicin V” (Fredericq et a.., 1949), but complete characterization was hindered by the apparent instability of the protein. As more was learned about the properties of other colicins such as A, El, and I, it became evident that colicin V (ColV) did not share most of the properties which had come to be associated with colicins. ColV is not SOS inducible, it is much smaller (6 kd) than other colicins, and it does not utilize a lysis protein for its release (Gilson et a.., 1990). Instead, it requires a set of dedicated export proteins. By these criteria, ColV more appropriately belongs to the related family of antimicrobial agents called microcins. For these reasons, we classify ColV as a microcin. But, for historical reasons, we feel it appropriate that its name remain unchanged.
KeywordsMembrane Span Domain Export Protein Extracellular Secretion Export System Outer Membrane Receptor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fath MJ, Skvirsky R, Kolter R (1991) Functional complementation between bacterial MDR-like export proteins: colicin V, α-hemolysin and Erwini. protease. J Bacteriol 173:7549–7556Google Scholar
- Fredericq P, Joiris E, Betz-Barreau M, Gratia A (1949) Researche des germes proucteurs do colicins dans les selles de malades atteints de fievre paratyphoide B. C R Soc Biol 143:556–559Google Scholar
- Frick KK, Quackenbush RL, Konisky J (1981) Cloning of immunity and structural genes for colicin V. J Bacteriol 148:498–507Google Scholar
- Gilson L (1990) Signal Sequence-Independent Export of Colicin V. Ph.D. Thesis, Harvard UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Gilson L, Mahanty HK, Kolter R (1990) Genetic analysis of an MDR-like export system: the secretion of colicin V. EMBO J 9:3875–3884Google Scholar
- Gratia A (1925) Sur un remarquable exemple d’antagonisime entr deux souches do Colibacille. C R Soc Biol 93:1040–1041Google Scholar