Cellular Mechanisms of Leukocyte Adhesion
Endothellial cells and leukocytes express adhesion promoting receptors that mediate cell-cell interactions and in some cases cell-matrix interactions. These interactions regulate the trafficking and migration of leukocytes across the vascular endothelial barrier and into tissues where they are involved in immune and inflammatory responses. Several adhesion receptors with highly regulated and specialized functions have been characterized.
KeywordsIschemia Histamine Psoriasis Cardiol Dextran
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bochner BS, Luscinskas FW, Gimbrone MA Jr, Newman W, Sterbinsky SA, Derse-Anthony CP, Klunk D, Schleimer RP (1991) Adhesion of human basophils, eosinophils, and neutrophils to interleukin 1-activated human vascular endothelial cells: contributions of endothelial cell adhesion molecules. J Exp Med 173:1553–1557.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Carlos T, Kovach N, Schwartz B, Rosa M, Newman B, Wayner E, Benjamin C, Osborn L, Lobb R, Harlan J (1991) Human monocytes bind to two cytokine-induced adhesive ligands on cultured human endothelial cells: endothelial-leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1. Blood 77:2266–2271.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lucchesi BR (1990) Myocardial ischemia, reperfusion and free radical injury. Am J Cardiol 65:141–231.Google Scholar
- Lum H, Gibbs L, Lai L, Malik AB (1991a) Neutrophil CD18 integrin mediates endothelial injury solely by induction of neutrophil adhesion. J Leuk Biol (in press).Google Scholar
- Luscinskas FW, Brock AF, Arnaout MA, Gimbrone MA Jr (1989) Endothelial-leukocyte adhesion molecule-1-dependent and leukocyte (CD11/CD18)-dependent mechanisms contribute to polymorphonuclear leukocyte adhesion to cytokine-activated human vascular endothelium. J Immunol 142:2257–2263.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Luscinskas FW, Cybulsky MI, Kiely JM, Peckins CS, Davis VM, Gimbrone MA Jr (1991) Cytokine-activated human endothelial monolayers support enhanced neutrophil transmigration via a mechanism involving both endothelial-leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 and intercellular adhesion molecule-1. J Immunol 146:1617–1625.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nickoloff BJ, Griffiths CE (1991) Aberrant intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) expression by hairfollicle epithelial cells and endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 (ELAM-1) by vascular cells are important adhesion-molecule alterations in alopecia areata. J Invest Dermatol 96:91S–92S.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nourshargh S, Rampart M, Hellewell PG, Jose PJ, Harlan JM, Edwards AJ, Williams TJ (1989) Accumulation of 111In-neutrophils in rabbit skin in allergic and non-allergic inflammatory reactions in vivo. Inhibition by neutrophil pretreatment in vitro with a monoclonal antibody recognizing the CD18 antigen. J Immunol 142:3193–3198.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shimizu Y, Newman W, Gopal TV, Horgan KJ, Graber N, Beall LD, vanSeventer GA, Shaw S (1991) Four molecular pathways of T cell adhesion to endothelial cells: roles of LFA-1, VCAM-1, and ELAM-1 and changes in pathway hierarchy under different activation conditions. J Cell Biol 113:1203–1212.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Watson ML, Kingsmore SF, Johnston GI, Siegelman MH, Le Beau MM, Lemons RS, Bora NS, Howard TA, Weissman IL, McEver RP, Scidin MF (1990) Genomic organization of the selectin family of leukocyte adhesion molecules on human and mouse chromosome 1. J Exp Med 72:263–272.Google Scholar
- Whelan J, Ghersa P, Hooft-van-Huijsduijnen R, Gray J, Chandra G, Talabot F, DeLamarter JF (1991) An NF kappa B-like factor is essential but not sufficient for cytokine induction of endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule (ELAM-1) gene transcription. Nucleic Acids Res 19:2645–2653.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wilcox CE, Ward AM, Evans A, Baker D, Rothlein R, Turk JL (1990) Endothelial cell expression of the intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in the central nervous system of guinea pigs during acute and chronic relapsing experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. J Neuroimmunol 30:43–51.PubMedGoogle Scholar