Spin Matching Conditions in Large Electron Storage Rings with Purely Horizontal Beam Polarization
In the last few years the self-polarization of electrons and positrons in storage rings (Sokolov-Ternov effect1) was observed in many storage rings: ACO,2 VEPP2,3 VEPP4,4 SPEAR,5 DORIS,6 PETRA,7 and CESR.8 In all these machines the beam was polarized by synchrotron radiation emission in the bending magnets of the arcs. As a consequence the spin axis in the arc must be parallel or antiparallel to the bending field, depending on the particle species.
KeywordsStorage Ring Closed Orbit Spin Motion Horizontal Polarization Synchrotron Emission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Belbeoch et al., Proc. USSR Natl. Conf. Part. Acc. 1968, p. 129.Google Scholar
- A. Blondel and J. M. Jowett, LEP note 606.Google Scholar
- M. Placidi and R. Rossmanith, LEP note 539 (1985).Google Scholar
- Y. Shatunov et al., AIP Conf. Proc. No. 187, p. 305.Google Scholar
- Ya. S. Derbenev and A. M. Kondratenko, Part. Acc. 8, 115 (1978).Google Scholar
- A. Chao, private contribution, C. Prescott, private contribution, CERN 1985.Google Scholar