Spin Matching Conditions in Large Electron Storage Rings with Purely Horizontal Beam Polarization
In the last few years the self-polarization of electrons and positrons in storage rings (Sokolov-Ternov effect1) was observed in many storage rings: ACO,2 VEPP2,3 VEPP4,4 SPEAR,5 DORIS,6 PETRA,7 and CESR.8 In all these machines the beam was polarized by synchrotron radiation emission in the bending magnets of the arcs. As a consequence the spin axis in the arc must be parallel or antiparallel to the bending field, depending on the particle species.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Belbeoch et al., Proc. USSR Natl. Conf. Part. Acc. 1968, p. 129.Google Scholar
- A. Blondel and J. M. Jowett, LEP note 606.Google Scholar
- M. Placidi and R. Rossmanith, LEP note 539 (1985).Google Scholar
- Y. Shatunov et al., AIP Conf. Proc. No. 187, p. 305.Google Scholar
- Ya. S. Derbenev and A. M. Kondratenko, Part. Acc. 8, 115 (1978).Google Scholar
- A. Chao, private contribution, C. Prescott, private contribution, CERN 1985.Google Scholar