Near Infrared Spectroscopy
Near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in volving transillumination of several centimetres of intact tissue was first described by Jobsis in 1977, although visible optical spectroscopy through thin tissue sections had long been employed (Matthes 1935; Millikan 1942; Brinkman et. al. 1950; Merrick 1975). NIRS when applied to the head can provide noninvasive quantification of a number of important indices of cerebral oxygenation and haemodynamics in sick newborn infants undergoing intensive care.
KeywordsMigration Phosphorus Dioxide Chrome Attenuation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arridge SR, van der Zee P, Delpy DT, Cope M (1990) Aspects of clinical infrared absorption imaging. In: Todd-Pokropek A, Viergever MA (eds) The formation, handling and evaluation of medical images. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 407–418Google Scholar
- Brinkman R, Zijlstra WG, Koopmans RK (1950) A method for continuous observation of percentage oxygen saturation in patients. Arch Chir Neerl 1:333–344Google Scholar
- Colacino JM, Grubb B, Jobsis FF (1981) Infrared technique for cerebral blood flow: comparison with 133 Xenon clearance. Neurol Res (1): 17–31Google Scholar
- Edwards AD, Wyatt JS, Richardson EC, Delpy DT, Cope M, Reynolds EOR (1988) Cotside measurement of cerebral blood flow in ill newborn infants by near infrared spectroscopy. Lancet ii: 701–702Google Scholar
- Edwards AD, Reynolds EOR, Richardson CE, Wyatt JS (1989) Estimation of blood flow in man using near infrared spectroscopy. J Physiol (Lond) 410: 50PGoogle Scholar
- Jobsis FF, Piantadosi CA, Sylvia AL, Lucas SK, Keizer HH (1988) Near infrared monitoring of cerebral oxygen sufficiency. Neurol Res 10:7–17Google Scholar
- McCormick DC, Edwards AD, Wyatt JS, Potter A, Cope M, Delpy DT, Reynolds EOR (1991) The effect of indomethacin on cerebral oxidised cytochrome aa3 concentration in preterm infants (abstr). Pediatr Res (in press)Google Scholar
- Merrick E (1975) A multi-wavelength ear oximeter. Proc BIOCAPT 75(2): 185–190Google Scholar
- Tamura M, Nomura Y, Hazeki O (1987) Laser tissue spectroscopy -near infrared CT. Rev Laser Eng 15(8): 74–82Google Scholar
- van der Zee P, Cope M, Arridge SR, Essenpreis M, Potter LA, Edwards AD, Wyatt JS, McCormick DC, Roth SC, Reynolds EOR, Delpy DT (1991) Experimentally measured optical pathlength for the adult head, calf and forearm, and the head of the newborn infant as a function of interoptode spacing. Adv Exp Med Biol (in press)Google Scholar