The Baboon As Cardiac Donor in Man: A Reasonable Approach or an Immoral Desperate Search for Suitable Organs?
There is an increasing need for suitable organs in cardiac transplantation. This scarcity of donor hearts is compounded further in infant and especially in neonatal transplantation; for example, the average prognosis for newborns with congenital lesions such as hypoplastic left heart syndrome is 1 week – 1 month. Current surgical procedures for these babies, who usually have completely normal brain function, are not satisfactory. Immediate heart transplantation (HTx) would be a possible solution to the dilemma. In such cases, xenogeneic heart transplantation (XHTx) using nonhuman primates such as the baboon as donors could become an alternative whenever human hearts are not available.
KeywordsNonhuman Primate Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome Vervet Monkey Donor Heart Hyperacute Rejection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barnard CN, Wolpowitz A, Lossman JG (1977) Heterotopic cardiac transplantation with a xenograft for assistance of the left heart in cardiogenic shock after cardiopulmonary bypass. S Afr Med J 52:1035.Google Scholar
- 3.Calne RY (1970) Organ transplantation between widely disparate species. Transplant Proc 2:550.Google Scholar
- 5.Human PA, van der Riet FJ, Cooper DKC, Kalter SS, Fincham JE, Smuts HEM, Reichenspurner H, Madden DL, Sever JL, Reichart B (1989) The virological evaluation of non-human primates for xenotransplantation. In: Reichart B (ed) Recent advances in cardiovascular surgery. Schulz, Percha, FRG.Google Scholar
- 6.Reichart B, Jamieson SW (1990) Heart and heart-lung transplantation. Schulz, Percha, FRG, 273.Google Scholar
- 7.Reichenspurner H, Human PA, Boehm DH, Rose AG, May R, Cooper DKC, Zilla P, Reichart B (1989) Optimalization of immunosuppression after xenogeneic heart transplantation in primates. J Heart Transpl 8:200.Google Scholar
- 9.Van der Riet F, Human PA, Cooper DKC, Fincham JE, Kalter SS, Kanki PJ, Essex M, Madden DL, Lai-Tung MT, Chalton D, Sever JL (1987) Virological implications of the use of primates in xenotransplantation. Transplant Proc 19:4068.Google Scholar