Image Reconstruction for Medical Applications
The goal of medical image reconstruction is to recover the spatial distribution of a parameter such as the X-ray attenuation coefficient, or radioisotope concentration, inside the body from external measurements, i.e. non-invasive. When the behaviour of the parameter is determined as a function of depth within the body, the resulting image is tomographic, and the procedure is termed tomographic image reconstruction. The essential feature of this procedure is that the image is reconstructed from projections of the underlying distribution. Image reconstruction from projections is a problem that has arisen repeatedly over the past thirty years in a wide variety of different disciplines as diverse as electron microscopy and radioastronomy.
KeywordsMicrowave fIlters Attenuation Radar Tungsten
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrett H.H. (1988) The Fundamentals of the Radon Transform. In Proceedings of the NATO ASI on Mathematics and Computer Science in Medical Imaging, Il Ciocco, Italy. Series F, 39. pp. 105–125.Google Scholar
- Bates R.H.T. and Peters T.M. (1971) Towards improvements in tomography. N.ZJ. Sci. 14, pp. 883–896.Google Scholar
- Hamming R.W. (1983) Digital Filters Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.Google Scholar
- Kashyap R.L. and Mittel M.C. (1973) in the First Int. Joint Conf. Pattern Recognition, Washington DC, PP. 286–292.Google Scholar
- Muehllehner G and Wetzel R.A. (1971) Section imaging by computer calculation. J. Nucl. Med. 12, pp. 76–84.Google Scholar
- Orlov S.S. (1976) Theory of three-dimensional reconstruction. 1. Conditions of a complete set of projections, Soy. Phys. Crystallography 20 p.312.Google Scholar
- Radon, J. (1917) Uber die Bestimmung von Funktionen durch ihre Integralwerte langs gewisser Manningsfaltigkeiten, Ber. Verh. Saechs. Akad. Leipzig, Math. Phys. Kl., 69, 262, 1917. Translation by Parks P.C. (1986) in IEEE Trans. Med. Imag. MI-5 p.170.Google Scholar
- Smith P.R., Peters T.M. and Bates R.H.T. (1973) Image reconstruction from a finite number of projections. J. Phys. A6, pp. 361–382.Google Scholar
- Tretiak O.J., Eden M, Simon W. (1969) Internal structure from X-ray images. Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Med. Biol. Eng., Chicago, Session 12–1.Google Scholar