The Growth of a MOSAIC
MOSAIC is an object oriented UIMS and design environment for MS-DOS PCs. It has been in use for about five years, mostly in Scandinavia. In this paper we try to sum up the user feedback and draw some conclusions. We found that most PASCAL/C programmers initially had great problems seeing a design as a collection of interacting objects. It made them feel less “in control”. We consequently recommend to teach the programmers object oriented design before letting them implement large systems. The non-programmers often used the MOSAIC user interface editor to its limits, and in ways unintended by the tool designers. An easy-to-use, closed and consistent world of simple building blocks seems to give user interface designers the necessary security to be able to be creative and productive.
KeywordsUser Feedback Design Idea Target Machine Oriented Design Object Hierarchy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bork A., Crapper S.A., Hebenstreit J.: The introduction of computers in schools: The Norwegian experience. OECD, Paris, 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.Goodman D.: The complete HyperCard Handbook. Bantam Books, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Minken, I., Stenseth, B., Vavik, L.: Pedagogisk Programmare. Ultimagruppen, Norway, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.Manheimer J.M., Burnett R.C., Wallers J.A.: A case study of user interface management system development and application. CHI’89 Proceedings. ACM Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.Singh G., Green M.: A high-level user interface management system. CHI’89 Proceedings. ACM Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- 8.Stenseth B., Minken I, Tingstad D., Svanaes D.: Rapport fra Selbu kurset. Report from Norwegian Ministry of Edudcation, Oslo 1988.Google Scholar
- 9.Svanæs, D.: Verktøyutvikling i Datasekretariatet, MOSAIKK. Datatid, 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.Svanæs, D.: MOSAIC user’s guide. K.U.D. Datasekretariatet/SimSim 1988.Google Scholar
- 11.Svanæs D., Cyvin J.: The use of system dynamics in ecology education. (in Norwegian) Report from NAVF, Oslo 1989.Google Scholar
- 12.Svanæs D.: The confessions of a tool maker. (in Norw.) Scandinavian Educational Software Conference NTH, Norway 1989.Google Scholar
- 13.Svanæs D.: Simulation Models + User Interfaces = Interactive Applications. To appear in: Computers and Education, An International Journal, Pergamon Press, 1990.Google Scholar