Respecrin — A New Approach to Constructing Drugs with Targeted Action
The directed or targeted transport of drugs to sites of disease was first suggested by Ehrlich more than 100 years ago (Himmelweit, 1960). There is no doubt that drugs are most effective, and have fewest side effects, when their activity becomes manifest only upon contact with affected organs or cells. This is especially important in tumour therapy, where cytotoxic and highly antigenic protein factors are administered.
KeywordsPeripheral Blood Lymphocyte Target Antigen Staphylococcal Enterotoxin Human Peripheral Blood Lymphocyte Hybrid Molecule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alakhov VYu, Arzhakov SA, Vasilenko OV, Voloshchuk SG, Glazkova-Stepanenko IS, Duvakin IA, Ishkov AG, Kabanov AV, Kabanov VA, Klinsky EYu, Kravtsova TN, Petrov RV, Sveshnikov PG, Severin ES (1988a) A new principle of construction of immunotherapeutic compounds of directed action. Physiologically active substances reversibly screened by target-recognizing macromolecules. Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR (Russ.) 303:1494–1497.Google Scholar
- Alakhov VYu, Moskaleva EYu, Kravtsova TN, Smirnov VV, Duvakin IA, Loginov BV, Severin ES (1988b) The effect of Staphylococcus aureus enterotoxin A on proliferation of lymphoid and nerve cells. Biotechnol & Appl Biochem 10: 563–567Google Scholar
- Alakhov VYu, Kabanov AV, Kravtzova TN, Levashov AV, Severin ES (1989) The role of the carbohydrate-binding site of staphylococcal enterotoxin A in its interaction with lymphoid cells and the effect of hydrophobic modification of the toxin on its biological activity. Biologicheskiye Membrany (Russ.) 6: 582–589Google Scholar
- Boyum A (1976) Isolation of leukocytes from human blood. Methyl cellulose, dextran and ficoll as erythrocyte-aggregating agents. Scand J Clin & Lab Invest Suppl 21: 31–50Google Scholar
- Carlson R, Fischer H, Sjogren HO (1988) Binding of staphylococcal enterotoxin A to accessory cells is a requirement for its ability to activate human T-cells. J Immunol 140: 2484–2488Google Scholar
- Dudkin SM, Alakhov VYu, Severin SE, Shvetz VN (1984) Bacterial activator of calmodulin-dependent enzymes. Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR (Russ.) 276: 1510–1513Google Scholar
- Himmelweit F (1960) Collected papers of Paul Ehrlich, Pergamon Press, New York, vol 3Google Scholar
- Kabanov AV, Alakhov VYu, Klinsky EYu, Khrutskaya M, Ryakhnyanskaya AS, Polinsky AS, Yaroslavov AA, Severin ES, Levashov AV, Kabanov VA (1988) Construction of conjugates of natural and synthetic macromolecules while using reversed micelles as microreactors. Dokiady Akademii Nauk SSSR (Russ.) 302: 735–738Google Scholar