Computer-Aided Water Resources Planning and Operational Management in a Water Company in the U.K.
Decision support systems have been used extensively over many years to assist North West Water in the management of their water resources. This paper describes the current use of decision support systems in both the administrative as well as the engineering aspects of the company, and looks into the future needs for improved decision support.
KeywordsDecision Support System Operating Policy Water Resource System Runoff Data Control Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- North West Water Authority (1981). An Introduction to the RP Suite of Programs. Warrington, England.Google Scholar
- Pearson, D. and P.D. Walsh (1982). The Derivation and Use of Control Curves for the Regional Allocation of Water Resources. In: Optimal Allocation of Water Resources, M.J. Lowing (ed.), IAHS Pub. No. 135.Google Scholar
- Pearson, D. (1983). Control Curve Report. North West Water, Warrington, England.Google Scholar
- Walker, S. and T. Wyatt (1987). The Use of a Dynamic Programming Technique in Optimising the Operation of a Regional Water Resource System. Aqua, 5, p. 242.Google Scholar
- Walker, S., P.D. Walsh and T. Wyatt (1989). Derivation and Application of Medium Term Operating Policies for the Northern Command Zone of North West Water. In: Closing the Gap Between Theory and Practice, D,P. Loucks (ed.), IAHS. Pub. No. 180.Google Scholar
- Walker, S. (1990). Practical Application of Hydrological Analyses in Drought Manage¬ment in North West Water Limited (UK). International Symposium on Water Resources Systems Application, Winnipeg, Canada, June.Google Scholar
- Palmer, R.N. and R.M. Tull (1987). Expert Systems for Drought Management Planning. J. of Computing in Civil Engineering, 1(4).Google Scholar
- Nishida, S., R. Palmer and S. Walker (1990). An Expert System for Control Curve Evaluation During a Drought. 17th Annual Meeting, Water Resources Planning and Management Division, ASCE, Fort Worth, Texas, April 17–20.Google Scholar