Nitrate Contamination of Surface and Ground Water in Greece
Data from two case studies are summarized. The first study concerns the Axios River (N. Greece), where monthly sampling of nitrate concentrations and related water quality parameters are analyzed for a two-year period. The second study deals with ground water in the Attiki area, near Athens. Time series data are presented; and possible sources of nitrate contamination, such as agricultural activities, sewage, and use of septic tanks, are examined.
KeywordsSilicate Nitrite Sewage Autocorrelation Denitrification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Giannakopoulou T (1990) Reliability of some eutrophication indices in an estuary (in Greek). In: Proc. 4th Congress of the Greek Hydrotechnical Union, Heraklion, p 675Google Scholar
- Katsiri A (1983) Groundwater pollution of Attiki area by nitrates (in Greek). In: Proc. 1st Congress of the Greek Hydrotechnical Union, Thessaloniki, II.85Google Scholar
- Latinopoulos P, Ganoulis J, Tolikas D (1982) Efficiency of integral equation method for modelling regional groundwater flows. In: Proc IAHR Int’l Conf on Groundwater Resources Management, Capri, Italy.Google Scholar
- OCDE (1985) Data on the environment. Compendium OCDE, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Thomann RV, O’Connor DJ, DiToro DM (1971) The effect of nitrification on dissolved oxygen of streams and estuaries, Manhattan College, Bronx, Environmental Engineering and Science Program Technical ReportGoogle Scholar