Blood Pressure in Sleep-Related Disordered Breathing: A Hypothesis
A review of the literature suggests that sleep-related disordered breathing is less likely to lead to daytime systemic hypertension in elderly males. In contrast, such disordered breathing is likely to lead to hypertension in younger (<50 years of age) males. We hypothesize that this results from an age-related reduction in sympathetic responsiveness to the effects of sleep-related disordered breathing. We also have previously reported that sleep-related disordered breathing is associated with hypotension during sleep in elderly males. We hypothesize that diminished sympathetic responsiveness also contributes to this hypotension. This hypotension may contribute to the known increase in thrombotic strokes in persons who snore.
KeywordsObstructive Sleep Apnea Sleep Apnea Elderly Male Norepinephrine Level Hypoxic Pulmonary Vasoconstriction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.Lugaresi E, Coccagna G, Cirignotta F, Montagna P (1987) Sleep-related hemodynamic changes in health and respiratory disorders. Interdiscip Top Gerontol 22: 37Google Scholar
- 16.McGinty DJ, Littner MR, Stern N (1987) Sleep related breathing disorders in aging. In: Emser W, Kurtz D, Webb WB (eds) Sleep, aging, and related disorders. Karger, Basel, pp 13–36Google Scholar
- 19.Podszus T, Mayer J, Penzel T, Peter JH, von Wichert P (1986) Noctural hemodynamics in patients with sleep apnea. Eur J Respir Dis 69 (Suppl 146): 435Google Scholar
- 20.Scharf SM (1984) Influence of sleep state and breathing on cardiovascular function. In: Saunders NA, Sullivan CE (eds) Sleep and breathing. Dekker, New York, pp 221–239Google Scholar
- 22.Stern N, Beahm E, Sowers J, McGinty DJ, Eggena P, Littner MR, Nyby M, Catania R (1984) The effect of age on circadian rhythm of blood pressure, catecholamines, plasma renin activity, prolactin and corticosteroids in essential hypertension. In: Weber MA, Drayer JIM (eds) Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring. Steinkopf, Darmstadt, pp 157–162Google Scholar
- 24.Strangaard S (1975) Autoregulation of cerebral blood flow in hypertensive patients. Circulation 53: 720Google Scholar