Activities of the IUPAC/IUB Joint Commission on Biochemical Nomenclature (JCBN) and the Nomenclature Committee of IUB (NC-IUB)
A brief history of biochemical nomenclature and the development of joint nomenclature efforts of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) and the International Union of Biochemistry (IUB) are presented. The organizational arrangement of cooperation between the two unions is described. Results of this setup are listed. Special mention is made of the biochemical compendium and the enzyme nomenclature book, and future projects are outlined. Cooperation with other nomenclature bodies that have overlapping interests is cited, such as with the International Union of Nutritional Sciences (IUNS), and with the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry (IFCC).
KeywordsNomenclature Committee Joint Enterprise Regular Member Polynucleotide Chain Enzyme Nomenclature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Courtois, J. E., “Work of Commission on Nomenclature of Biological Chemistry.” Adv. Chem. Ser. 1953, 83–94.Google Scholar
- 3.Hoffmann-Ostenhof, 0. “Suggestions for a More Rational Classification and Nomenclature of Enzymes.” Adv. Enzymol. 1952, 14, 219–260.Google Scholar
- 4.IUB, Enzyme Nomenclature, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1965, 219 pp.Google Scholar
- 5.IUPAC, Comptes Rendus XXIV Conference, Prague, September 1967, p. 106.Google Scholar
- 6.IUPAC-IUB, Collected Tentative Rules & Recommendations of the Commission on Biochemical Nomenclature, Reprinted by the American Society of Biological Chemists, Inc., 1973, 117 pp.Google Scholar
- 7.“IUPAC Handbook 1988–1989”, Chemistry International Supplement, 1988. Blackwell Scientific Publications, p. vi.Google Scholar
- 8.IUB, Enzyme Nomenclature, 1984, Academic Press, New York, 1984, 650 pp.Google Scholar
- 9.IUB, Biochemical Nomenclature and Related Documents, The Biochemical Society, London, 1978. 223 pp.Google Scholar