Van Nes Rotationplasty in Skeletally Immature Patients with Malignant Sarcoma of the Lower Extremity
The surgical treatment of young skeletally immature children with malignant sarcomas of the extremities represents a special challenge. The high functional demand, the expected future growth and relatively irresponsible personality of many children make them relatively unsuitable to limb-salvage surgery, such as endoprosthesis replacement or allograft arthrodesis.
KeywordsLeukemia Sarcoma Osteosarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jacobs PA (1985) Limb salvage and rotationplasty for osteosarcoma in children. Clin Orthop 188: 217–222Google Scholar
- 3.Knahr K, Kristen H, Ritschl P, Sekera J, Salzer M (1987) Prosthetic management and functional evaluation of patients with resection of the distal femur and rotationplasty. Orthopaedics 10: 1241–1247Google Scholar
- 4.Kotz R, Salzer M (1982) Rotationplasty for childhood osteosarcoma of the distal part of the femur. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 64: 959–969Google Scholar
- 5.Krajbich JI (1987) The method of predicting the level of the knee in the modified Van Nes rotationplasty (paper 48). POSNA Meeting, TorontoGoogle Scholar
- 6.Krajbich JL, Debari A, Hubart S, et al. (1989) Modified van Nes Rotationplasty for osteosarcoma of the proximal tibia in children (Paper 22). POSNA Annual Meeting, Hilton HeadGoogle Scholar
- 7.Murray MP, Jacobs PA, Gore DR, Gamer GM, Mollinger LA (1985) Functional performance after tibial rotationplasty. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 67: 392–399Google Scholar
- 9.Shih CH, Carroll NC (1985) Modified van Nes rotationplasty for the treatment of proximal femoral osteosarcoma in children. Case report. J Orthop Surg Tech (1): 81–86Google Scholar
- 10.Sim FH, Bowman WE, Wilkins RM, Chao EYS (1985) Limb salvage in primary malignant bone tumors. Orthopaedics 8: 574–581Google Scholar
- 11.Van Nes CP (1950) Rotationplasty for congenital defects of the femur: making use of the ankle of the shortened limb to control the knee joint of a prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 32: 12–16Google Scholar