Epidermal Growth Factor
Polypeptide growth factors have attracted considerable interest since the initial description of nerve growth factor (NGF) in 1951 (Levi-Montalcini and Hamburger 1951) and, subsequently, the identification of epidermal growth factor (EGF) in 1962 (Cohen 1962). At present, however, the natural roles of these and other peptide growth factors remains a gap in our understanding. In this review we hope to provide some additional perspective from which this gap may be closed.
KeywordsAspirin Sarcoma Polypeptide Bicarbonate Trypsin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Campion SR, Matsunami RK, Engler DA, Stevens A, Niyogi SK (1989) Site-directed mutagenesis of human epidermal growth factor: biochemical properties of β-loop mutants. (submitted).Google Scholar
- Carpenter G, Wahl MI (1990) The epidermal growth factor family. In: Sporn MB, Roberts AB, (eds) Peptide growth factors and their receptors. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York.Google Scholar
- Dembinski A, Gregory H, Konturek SJ, Polanski M (1982) Trophic actions of epidermal growth factor on the pancreas and gastroduodenal mucosa in rats. J Physiol (Lond) 325:35–42.Google Scholar
- Dembinski A, Drozdowicz D, Gregory H, Konturek SJ, Warzecha Z (1986) Inhibition of acid formation by epidermal growth factor in the isolated rabbit gastric glands. Physiologie 378:347–357.Google Scholar
- Dudgeon TJ, Cooke RM, Baron M, Cambell ID, Edwards RM, Fallon A (1990) Structure-function analysis of epidermal growth factor: site-directed mutagenesis and nuclear magnetic reasonance. EBS Lett 261(2):392–396.Google Scholar
- Earp HS, Hepler JR, Petch LA, Miller A, Berry AR, Harris J, Raymond VW, McCune BK, Lee LW, Grisham JW, Harden TK (1988) Epidermal growth factor (EGF) and hormones stimulate phosphoinositide hydrolsis and increase EGF receptor protein synthesis and mRNA levels in rat liver epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 263(27):13868–13874.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Elder JB, Ganguli PC, Gillespie IE, Gerring EL, Gregory H (1974) Effect of urogastrone in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Br J Surg 61:916.Google Scholar
- Gregory H (1985) In vivo aspects of urogastrone-epidermal growth factor. Cell Sci Suppl 3:11–17.Google Scholar
- Olsen PS, Poulsen SS, Therkelsen K, Nexo E (1986a) Oral administration of synthetic human urogastrone promotes healing of chronic duodenal ulcers in rats. Gastroenterology 90(4):911–917.Google Scholar
- Robert A (1977) Cytoprotection of Prostaglandins. Gastroenterology 77:761–767.Google Scholar
- Scott J, Patterson S, Rall L, Bell GI, Crawford R, Penschow J, Niall H, Coghlan J (1985) The structure and biosynthesis of epidermal growth factor precursor. Cell Sci Suppl 5:19–28.Google Scholar
- Sporn MB, Roberts AB (1990) Peptide growth factors and their receptors. Springer, Berlin Heiclelberg New York.Google Scholar