Subsets of Rat CD4+ T Cells Defined by Their Differential Expression of Variants of the CD45 Antigen: Developmental Relationships and In Vitro and In Vivo Functions
Thymus-derived lymphocytes have been shown to mediate a wide range of immunological functions both as direct effectors in cell-mediated immunity and as helper or inducer cells for B cells, macrophages, bone marrow cells and other T cells. In addition, the lymphokines that they produce have been shown to act not only on leucocytes but also on non-bone marrow derived cells. This wide range of T-cell functions has only recently been fully appreciated, but early work using alloantisera in mice established that T cells with different functional specializations could be distinguished phenotypically on the basis of whether or not they expressed what came to be called the CD8 antigen (Cantor and Boyse 1975).
KeywordsCD45 Molecule Mixed Lymphocyte Culture Thoracic Duct Lymph Lymphokine Production Secondary Antibody Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cherwinski H, Schumacher JH, Brown KD, Mossman TR (1987) Two types of mouse helper T cell clone. III. Further differences in lymphokine synthesis between Thl and Th2 clones revealed by RNA hybridization, functionally monospecific bioassays and monoclonal antibodies. J Exp Med 166:1229–1244PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cobbold S, Hale G, Waldmann H (1987) Non lineage, LFA-1 family and leukocyte common antigens: new and previously defined clusters. In: McMichael AJ (ed) Leukocyte typing III. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp 788–807Google Scholar
- Dallman MJ (1982) Studies on the cellular basis of skin allograft rejection in the rat. D Phil thesis, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Joling P, Tielen FJ, Vaessen LMB, Huijbregts JMA, Rozing J (1985) New markers on T cell subpopulations defined by monoclonal antibodies. Transplant Proc 17: 1857–1863Google Scholar
- Mason DW, Brideau RJ, McMaster WR, Webb M, White RAH, Williams AF (1980) Monoclonal antibodies that define T-lymphocyte subsets in the rat. In: Kennett RH, McKern TJ, Bechtol KB (eds) Monoclonal antibodies. Plenum, New York, pp 251–273Google Scholar
- Mason DW, Penhale WJ, Sedgwick JD (1987) Preparation of lymphocyte subpopulations. In: Klaus GGB (ed) Lymphocytes, a practical approach. IRL Press, Oxford, pp 35–54Google Scholar
- Metcalf D (1984) The hemopoietic colony stimulating factors. Elsevier, Amsterdam, p 33Google Scholar