Chromosomal Damage in Human Lymphocytes: Effect of Radiation Quality
For many years the cytogenetics group at NRPB has studied the induction of chromosomal aberrations in human lymphocytes by ionising radiations. The effects of radiation quality and dose rate have been studied extensively and a summary of results will be presented in this paper.
KeywordsBoron Tritium Mitomycin Oxon Bromodeoxyuridine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Doloy MT, Ducatez G, Lepetit J, Bourguignon M, Reillaudou M, Chaput, B (1983) Effets de faibles debits de dose de neutrons de fission sur 1’induction d’anomalies chromosomiques dans les lymphocytes humains. In: Booz J, Ebert HG (eds) Microdosimetry. Proceedings of the Eighth Symposium. EUR 8395 EN, CEC Luxembourg, p 835Google Scholar
- Edwards AA, Lloyd DC, Prosser JS (1985) The induction of chromosome aberrations in human lymphocytes by accelerated charged particles. Radiat Prot Dosim 13: 205–209Google Scholar
- ICRP (1990) Recommendations of the Commission. Draft report of the International Commission on Radiological Protection February 1990Google Scholar
- ICRU (1970) Linear energy transfer. Report No 16, International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- ICRU (1983) Microdosimetry. Report No 36, International Commission on Radiological Protection, BethesdaGoogle Scholar
- ICRU (1986) The quality factor in radiation protection. Report No 40, International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements, BethesdaGoogle Scholar
- Lloyd DC, Edwards AA, Prosser JS (1986) Chromosome aberrations induced in human lymphocytes by in vitro acute x and gamma radiation. Radiat Prot Dosim 15: 83–88Google Scholar
- Lloyd DC, Prosser JS, Purrott RJ (1982) The study of chromosome aberration yield in human lymphocytes as an indicator of radiation dose: revised techniques. NRPB M–70, National Radiological Protection Board, Chilton.Google Scholar
- Prosser JS, Lloyd DC, Edwards AA, Stather JW (1983) The induction of chromosome aberrations in human lymphocytes by exposure to tritiated water in vitro. Radiat Prot Dosim 4: 21–26Google Scholar
- Virsik-Peuckert RP (1983) Inducibility of chromosome aberrations by ultrasoft x-rays. In: Ishihara T, Sasaki MS (eds) Radiation induced chromosome damage in man. Liss, New York, p 51Google Scholar
- Wolff S, Wiencke JK, Afzal V, Youngblom J, Cortes F (1989) The adaptive response of human lymphocytes to very low doses of ionising radiation: a case of induced chromosomal repair with the induction of specific proteins. In: Baverstock KF, Stather JW (eds) Low dose radiation: biological bases of risk assessment. Taylor and Francis, London New York Philadelphia, p 446Google Scholar