The Structure of the Antibiotic Binding Sites in Bacterial Ribosomes
With only a few exceptions, antibiotics inhibit protein synthesis by binding to the ribosome and blocking some of the several functions that the particle performs in this metabolic process (Vazquez, 1979; Gale et al. 1981). The antibiotic binding sites must be located in regions of the ribosomal particle closely related to the inhibited activity and, obviously, the definition of the structure of these interaction sites will provide important information for the understanding of both the drug mode of action and the function of the ribosome.
KeywordsSugar Aldehyde Adenosine Streptomyces Erythromycin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ballesta, J.P.G. and Lazaro, E. (1990) Peptidyl transferase inhibitors: Structure-activity relationship analysis by chemical modification p502–510 In The Ribosome. Structure, Function and Evolution (Hill, W.E., Dahlberg, A., Garret, R.A., Moore, P.B., Schelissinger, D. and Warner, J.R. eds) American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Contreras, A. and Vazquez, D. (1977) Cooperative and antagonistic interactions of peptidyl-tRNA and antibiotics. Eur. J. Biochem. 74, 538–547.Google Scholar
- Cooperman, B.S. (1980) Functional sites on E. coli ribosomes as defined by affinity labeling p 531–554 In Ribosomes. Structure, Function and Genetics (Chamblis, G., Craven, G.R., Davies, J., Davis K., Kahan, L and Nomura, M. eds.) pp531–554. University Park Press, Baltimore, USAGoogle Scholar
- Cundliffe, E. (1990) Recognition sites for antibiotics within rRNA p 479–490 in The Ribosome. Structure, Function and Evolution (Hill, W.E., Dahlberg, A., Garret, R.A., Moore, P.B., Schelissinger, D. and Warner, J.R. eds) American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Gale, E.F., Cundliffe, E., Reynolds, P.E., Richmond, M.H. and Waring, M.J. (1981) The molecular basis of antibiotic action, John Wiley and Sons, London and New York.Google Scholar
- Kirst, H.A., toth, J.E., Debono, M., Willard, K.E., Truedell, B.A., Ott, J.L, Counter, F.T., Felty-Duckworth, A.M. and Pekarek, R.S. (1988) Synthesis and evaluation of tylosin-related macrolides modified at the aldehyde function: a new series of orally effective antibiotics J. Med. Chem. 31, 1631–1641.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vazquez, D. (1979) Inhibitors of protein synthesis. Mol. Biol. Biochem.Biophys. 30, 1–312.Google Scholar
- Wittmann, H.G., Stöffler, G., Apirion, D., Rosen,L, Tanaka, K., Tamaki, M. Tanaka, R.,Dekio, S., Otaka, E. and Osawa, S. (1973) Biochemical amd genetic studies on two different types of erythromycin resistant mutants of Escherichia coli with altered ribosomal proteins. Mol.Gen Genet. 127, 175–189.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zimmermann, R. (1980) In Ribosomes, Structure, Function and Genetics (Chamblis, G., Craven G.R., Davies, J, Davis, K. Kahan, L and Nomura, M., eds.) pp 135–169. University Park Press, Baltimore, USAGoogle Scholar