Sports for Athletes with Disabilities: Future Considerations
At the forefront of current issues in the field of sports for the disabled is the inclusion of athletes with disabilities in the Olympic games. In short, today’s athletes with disabilities regard themselves as worthy of Olympic athlete status as their nondisabled counterparts. While the goal of this movement may not be total inclusion in Olympic competition (ie., all disabilitiy groups and all sports/events practised by those with disabilities), it certainly can be described as inclusion that is based on the same criteria as those established for nondisabled sports while not being disruptive to or counter to the aims and ideals of the Olympic movement.
KeywordsCerebral Palsy Olympic Game Sport Organization World Organization International Olympic Committee
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Canadian Federation of Sports Organizations for the Disabled (1988) Canada’s response to the draft constitution for a world organization for sports for the disabled. OttawaGoogle Scholar
- International Coordinating Committee (1985) Meeting of the International Coordinating Committee (ICC) of World Sports Organization for the Disabled, August 1985. International Coordinating Committee Agreement, p 2Google Scholar
- International Coordinating Committee (1987) Recommendations brought forward for voting at the ICC seminar in Arnhem, March 1987. International Coordinating Committee Seminar.Google Scholar
- Labanowich S (1988 a) A case for the integration of the disabled into the Olympic games. Adapt Phys Activity Q 5:264–272Google Scholar
- Labanowich S (1988 b) Debate: the issue of separating ISMFG into special wheelchair Paralympics has surfaced again — response by Stan Labanowich. International Sports Organizations for the Disabled CircularGoogle Scholar
- Lindstrom H (1988) To really make sports for the disabled a strange curiosity, just accept speration of the “groups” again. International Sports Organizations for the Disabled Circular, p 7Google Scholar
- Wang CE (1988) Are we getting a new World Sports Organization? International Sports Organizations for the Disabled Circular, p 3Google Scholar