Immune Responses Against Myelin Basic Protein and/or Galactocerebroside Cross-React with Viruses: Implications for Demyelinating Disease
It has long been speculated that viruses share cross-reacting determinants with their host self-components. Not until recently could this be directly demonstrated by using monoclonal antibodies (Mabs) and by making direct protein sequence comparisons. This concept of shared common determinants has been the basis for understanding the mechanisms of virus-induced autoimmunity.
KeywordsMyelin Basic Protein Measle Virus Demyelinating Disease Experimental Allergic Encephalomyelitis Molecular Mimicry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alvord EC, Jr (1984) Species-restricted encephalitogenic determinants. In: Alvord EC, Kies MW, Suckling AJ (eds) Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. Liss, New York pp 523–537Google Scholar
- Applebaum E, Dolgopol VB, Dolgin J (1949) Measles encephalitis. Am J Dis Child 77: 24–48Google Scholar
- Applebaum E, Greenberg M and Nelson J (1953) Neurological complications following antirabiesvaccination. J Am Med Assoc 151: 188–191Google Scholar
- Blatt NH and Lepper MH (1953) Reactions following antirabies prophylaxis. Report on 16 patients.Am J Dis Child 86: 395–402Google Scholar
- Fujinami RS, Oldstone MBA (1986) Amino acid homology and cross-reacting immune responses between the encephalitogenic site of myelin basic protein and virus: virus-induced autoimmunity. In: Brown F, Chancok RM, Lerner RA (eds) Vaccines 86: modern approaches to immunizations. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York, pp 247–251Google Scholar
- Fujinami RS, Oldstone MVBA (1987) Molecular mimicry as a mechanism for virus induced autoimmunity. In: Progress in Allergy, Triggering Factors in Autoimmunity, S Karger AG BaselGoogle Scholar
- Fujinami RS, Nelson JA, Walker L, Oldstone MBA (1988) Sequence homology and immunologic cross-reactivity of human cytomegalovirus with HLA-DR beta chain: a means for graft rejection and immunosuppression. J Virol 62: 1001–1005Google Scholar
- Lipton H, Miller S, Melvold R, Fujinami RS (1986) Theiler’s murine encephalomyelitis virus (TMEV) infection in mice as a model for multiple sclerosis. In: Notkins AL, Oldstone MBA (eds) Concepts in viral pathogenesis II Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Paterson PY (1971) The demyelinating diseases: clinical and experimental correlates. In: (eds) Little, Brown, New York, pp 1269–1300Google Scholar
- Remlinger P (1928) Les paralysies du traitement anti-rabique. Ann Inst Past 42: 71–132Google Scholar
- Waksman BH (1962) Auto-immunization and the lesions of auto-immunity. Med 41: 93–141Google Scholar