Switching on Production of Thiarubrines and Other Polyines by Transformation of Plant Tissue Cultures
About 6 years ago we planned to extend our research on the photobiology and the photobiochemistry of the characteristic polyines and related sulphur derivatives of the Asteraceae to studies on the biogenesis of these compounds and, in particular, the enzymes involved in these processes; no enzymes are known for thiophene, thiarubrine or polyine biosynthesis. For this purpose we decided to use cell and callus cultures of selected plant species. Unfortunately, we were not well prepared for the now well-known phenomenon of the switching off of secondary metabolism in such systems.
KeywordsHairy Root Root Culture Callus Culture Hairy Root Culture Crown Gall
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Constabel CP, Towers GHN (1988a) Thiarubrine accumulation in hairy root cultures of Chaenactis douglasii. J Plant Physiol 133:67–70Google Scholar
- Constabel CP, Towers GHN (1988b) Incorporation of S into dithiacyclohexadiene and thiophene polyines in hairy root cultures of Chaenactis douglasii. Phytochemistry (in press)Google Scholar
- Cosio EG, Norton RA, Towers E, Finlayson AJ, Rodriguez E, Towers GHN (1986) Production of antibiotic thiarubrines by a crown gall tumor line of Chaenactis douglasii. J Plant Physiol 124:155–164Google Scholar
- Cosio EG, Towers GHN, McPherson J (1987) Endogenous growth regulator levels and polyacetylene accumulation in crown gall tumor lines of Chaenactis douglasii. J Plant Physiol 129:1–11Google Scholar
- Ichihara KI, Noda M (1977) Distribution and metabolism of polyacetylenes in safflower. Biochem Biophys Acta 487:269–270Google Scholar
- Jente R (1971) Polyacetylenverbindungen in Gewebekulturen von Centaurea ruthenica Lam. Tetrahedron Lett 27:4077–4083Google Scholar
- Norton RA (1984) Studies on poly acetylene production in normal and transformed tissue cultures of Bidens alba. PhD Thesis, Univ British ColumbiaGoogle Scholar
- Norton RA, Towers GHN (1985) Synthesis of polyacetylenes in tumor callus of Bidens alba. J Plant Physiol 120:273–283Google Scholar
- Norton RA, Towers GHN (1986) Factors affecting synthesis of polyacetylenes in root cultures of Bidens alba. J Plant Physiol 122:41–53Google Scholar
- Staba EJ (1980) Plant tissue culture as a source of biochemicals. CRC, Boca Raton, FlGoogle Scholar