Frequency Stabilization of Highly Coherent AlGaAs Diode Lasers
A solitary diode laser (DL) as compared with a typical gas laser has a large spectral linewidth which limits the attainable frequency stability /1/. One of the most efficient ways to narrow spectral line of a DL is an external optical feedback /2,3/, which makes it possible to decrease the linewidth to 1 kHz /4,5/. An external cavaty diode laser (ECDL) has many advantages but is more complicated than a solitary DL; the first work on DL frequency stabilization /6/ was followed by experiments on ECDL stabilization 12 years later /7/. Here we report on two experiments in which: a fast technique of side-band spectroscopy has been used for an ECDL frequency stabilization to reflection resonance of a confocal interferometer /8/; two ECDLs have been locked to adjacent sub-Dopplerresonances in saturated absorption of 133Cs by using conventional lock in servo systems, and DL frequency stability was estimated on the direct measurement of beat frequency fluctuations /9/.
KeywordsAllan Variance External Cavity Diode Laser Microscope Objective Lens Reflection Resonance Saturated Absorption Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Tsuchida and T. Tako: Jap. J. of Appl. Phys., 22, 1970 (1983)Google Scholar
- 2.V.L. Velichansky, A.S. Zibrov et al: Zh. Tekh. Letts., 4 1087 (1978)Google Scholar
- 3.V.Yu. Bazhenov, A.P. Bogatov et al.: Sov. J. Quant. Electr. 10, 1547 (1980)Google Scholar
- 4.A.M. Akulshin, N.G. Basov et al: Sov. J. Quant. Electr. 13, 1003 (1983)Google Scholar
- 8.E.K. Yurkin, A.S. Zibrov et al: P.N.Lebedev Physical Institute, Preprint Iv’ 34, Moscow (1988)Google Scholar
- 9.A.M. Akulshin, V.L. Velichansky et al: to be published in Sov. J., Quant. Electr., 15, N°10 (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.A.P. Bogatov, P.G. Eliseev et al: Sov. J. Quant. Electr. 13, 1221 (1983)Google Scholar
- 14.A.M. Akulshin, V. Yu., Bazhenov et al: Sov. J. Quant. Electr. 16, 912 (1986)Google Scholar
- 16.A.M.Akulshin, V,L.Velichansky et al: P.N.Lebedev Physical Institute, Preprint 99, Moscow (1985)Google Scholar
- A.N. Akulshin, V.L.Ve-lichansky et al: “Proc. of the Seminar on the Optical Orientation of Atoms and Molecules” p. 152, LeningradGoogle Scholar