Plasma Level Monitoring for Maintenance Neuroleptic Therapy
Schizophrenic patients differ markedly in the dose of neuroleptic that is necessary to treat their acute exacerbations of illness and to maintain their remissions once they have been adequately treated. Decisions about drug dosage during the maintenance phase are particularly problematic because the clinician is unable to assess a clinical response in individuals who are clinically stable. During this phase, the monitoring of plasma levels of neuroleptic drugs could provide an objective method of assessing a patient’s pharmacotherapy. Unfortunately, there have been very few studies of plasma level measurement in maintenance therapy. However, the available studies (Brown et al. 1982; Wistedt et al. 1982) suggest that patients with lower plasma levels are more vulnerable to relapse.
KeywordsMaintenance Therapy Schizophrenic Patient Haloperidol Decanoate Depot Drug Fluphenazine Decanoate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dahl SG (1976) Pharmacokinetics of methotrimeprazine after single and multiple doses. ClinGoogle Scholar
- Pharmacol Ther 19:435–442Google Scholar
- Dahl SG, Strandjord RE (1977) Pharmacokinetics of chlorpromazine after single and chronic dosage. Clin Pharmacol Ther 21: 409–414Google Scholar
- Freeman H (1980) Twelve years’ experience with the total use of depot neuroleptics in a defined population. In: Cattabeni F et al. (eds) Long-term effects of neuroleptics. Raven, New York, pp 559–564Google Scholar
- Gelders YG (1986) Pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and clinical development of haloperidol decanoate. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1(s):l–l1Google Scholar
- McCreadie RG, McKane JP, Robinson ADT, Wiles DH, Stirling GS (1986) Depot neuroleptics as maintenance therapy in chronic schizophrenic inpatients. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1 (s): 13–14Google Scholar
- Reyntjens AJM, Heykants JJP, Woestenborghs RJH, Gelders YG, Aerts TUL (1982) Pharmacokinetics of haloperidol decanoate: a 2-year followup. Int Pharmacopsychiatry 17: 238–246Google Scholar
- Wilkins JN, Marder SR, van Putten T, Midha KK, Mintz J, Setoda D, May PRA (1987) Circulating prolactin predicts risk of exacerbation in patients on depot fluphenazine. Psychopharmacol Bull 23: 522–525Google Scholar