Energy Gap Measurement Made on Cryogenically Cleaved Y-Ba-Cu-O and Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O Surfaces
The surfaces of the cryogenically cleaved Y-Ba-Cu-O film and Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O films are studied. Energy gaps are measured at these cleaved surfaces by the tunneling technique. (001), (103) and (110) oriented Y-Ba-Cu-O epitaxial films are broken in a cryogenic environment along the appropriate directions together with the SrTiO3 substrate. Pb electrode is brought close to the in situ clean broken film edge. The normalized energy gap 2Δ(0)/kBTc measured in the direction along and perpendicular to the Cu-O plane are found to be 6.0±0.2 and 3.6±0.2 respectively. These values are independent of the variation in the values of Tc within the examined range of 40K∼90K. The gap difference structure at ΔYBCO-Δpb is observed which helps identifying the value of energy gap of the oxide superconductor unambiguously. (001) oriented epitaxial Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O films are also studied. The gap voltage along ab-plane is near 20 mV, but the gap opening temperature of Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O junction is not identified in the experiment.
KeywordsAnisotropy Depression Coherence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.A. Barone, Physica C, 153–155, 1712 (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.J.S. Tsai, I. Takeuchi, J. Fujita, T. Yoshitake, S. Miura, S. Tanaka, T. Terashima, Y. Bando, K. Iijima, K. Yamamoto, Physica C 153–155, 1385 (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.J. Fujita, T. Yoshitake, A. Kamijyo, H. Igarashi and T. Satoh, to be published, Extended Abstracts MRS Spring Meeting (1988)Google Scholar
- 9.J. Fujita, T. Tatsumi, T. Yoshitake, H. Igarashi, To be published in Proceedings of Conference on the Science and Technology of Thin Film Superconductor Nov. 14–18, Colorado SpringsGoogle Scholar
- 10.S. Miura, unpublishedGoogle Scholar
- 11.J. Takada, H. Mazaki, T. Terashima, K. Iijima, K. Yamamoto, K. Hirata and Y. Bando, Extended Abstracts of the 20th Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials, Tokyo, 455 (1988)Google Scholar
- 16.M. Lee, A. Kapitulinik, M.R. Beasley, This proceedings.Google Scholar