Electronic Structure, Fermi Liquid and Excitonic Superconductivity in the High Tc Cu-Oxides
It need not be stressed to this audience that the discovery of the high Tc superconductors La2-xMxCuO4  and YBa2Cu3O7-δ  has generated excitement among scientists and technologists on an unprecedented scale. The recent discoveries [3–5] of superconductivity above 85 K in Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O and above 120 K in Tl-Ba-Ca-Cu-O, which do not have a rare-earth element, have added a new dimension to the important subject of high Tc. A particularly exciting aspect of having added a third and fourth oxide superconducting material lies in the opportunity for seeking out common features in all four materials which may be relevant to determining the mechanism of their high Tc. One of the starting points is certainly a detailed picture of the electronic structure of the compound, a goal which is achievable by present day supercomputers in combination with highly precise numerical methods to solve the local density functional (LDF) Kohn-Sham equations in a self-consistent way. Even today, the origin of superconductivity in the new metallic oxides remains a challenge despite some intriguing hints obtained from experiment and electronic structure calculations.
KeywordsPerovskite Parkin Rounded
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Maeda, H.; Tanaka, Y.; Fukutomi, M.; Asano, T. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. (1988) 27, in press.Google Scholar
- 6.Manuel, A. A.; Peter, M.; Walker, E. Europhys. Lett. (1987) 6, 61.Google Scholar
- 19.Anderson, P W. Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. (1988) 33, 459.Google Scholar
- 24.Yu, J. and Freeman, A. J. (to be published).Google Scholar
- 29.Sunshine, S. A.; Siegrist, T.; Schneemeyer, L. F.; Murphy, D. W.; Cava, R. J.; Batlogg, B.; van Dover, R. B.; Fleming, R. M.; Glarum, S. H.; Nakahara, S.; Farrow, R.; Krajewski, J. J.; Zahurak, S. M.; Waszczah, J. V.; Marshall, J. H.; Marsh, P.; Rupp, Jr., L. W.; and Peck, W. F. Phys. Rev. B38, 893 (1988).ADSGoogle Scholar
- 34.Cohen, M. L.; Louie, S. G. Superconductivity in d- and f-band Metals; Douglass, D. H., Ed.; Plenum; New York, 1976.Google Scholar
- 36.Allen, P. B.; Dynes, R. C. Phys. Rev. (1975) B12, 90S.Google Scholar
- 38.Ginzburg, V. L. JETP (1964) 46, 397.Google Scholar