Principles of Black Hole Energetics
These lectures introduce first the important notions of the theory of gravitational collapse and black hole physics like that of trapped surface, of apparent and event horizons. Then, the concepts of energy density and of the total energy in general relativity are explained, Nester’s expression for the total 4-momentum is written down and the positive energy theorems are reviewed. Finally, a report on the Hawking effect, on the calculations of the expected value of the stress-energy tensor, and on the back reaction problem is given. The lectures resort nowhere to a complicated mathematics, as all important logical relations can be clarified with the help of simple, spherically symmetrical models. Arguments are presented that the event horizon need not play such a crucial role in black hole physics as it is usually assumed.
KeywordsBurning Dust Coherence Dinates Univer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. S. Thorne, R. H. Price, and D. A. Macdonald, ed.: “Black Holes: The Membrane Paradigm” . Yale University Press, New Haven, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Pirani: in “Sources of Gravitational Radition”. Ed. by L. L. Smarr. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.C. W. Misner, K.S. Thorne, and J. A. Wheeler: “Gravitation”. Freeman, San Francisco, 1973.Google Scholar
- 12.G. T. Horowitz: in “Asymptotic Behaviour of Mass and Spacetime Geometry”. Ed. by F. J. Flaherty. Springer, Berlin, 1984.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Penrose: in “Battelle Rencontres”. Ed. by C. DeWitt, and J. A. Wheeler. Benjamin, New York, 1968.Google Scholar
- 15.A. Ashtekar: in “Asymptotic Behaviour of Mass and Spacetime Geometry”. Ed. by F. J. Flaherty. Springer, Berlin, 1984.Google Scholar
- 23.B. S. Kay, and R. M. Wald: in “An Italian Conference on General Relativity and Gravitational Physics”. Ed. by U. Bruzzo, R. Cianci, and E. Massa. World Scientific, Singapore, 1987.Google Scholar
- 28.J. W. York, Jr.: in “Quantum Theory of Gravity. Essays in Honor of the 60th Birthday of Bryce S. DeWitt”. Ed. by S. M. Christensen. A. Hilger, Bristol, 1984.Google Scholar
- 30.F. J. Tipler, C.J. S. Clark, and G. F. R. Ellis: in “General Relativity and Gravitation”, Vol. II. Ed. by A. Held. Plenum Press, New York, 1980.Google Scholar