A Salicide Base Contact Technology (SCOT) for Use in High Speed Bipolar VLSI
This chapter describes a new process technology called Salicide (self- aligned silicide) base COntact Technology (SCOT), that is applied for realizing high performance prescaler IC and high-gate-density master- slice LSI. The main feature of this process, for reduction of both the base resistance and the capacitance, is the silicidation of the base contact which is opened by employing self-alignment technology. A 1/128, 1/129 two-modulus prescaler IC comprised of 1.5 μm SCOT transistors has been improved to a high operation of 2.1 GHz at 56 mW power dissipation. An ECL 18K-gate masterslice has been developed by a Variable Size Cell (VSC) approach, employing the SCOT process.
KeywordsPower Dissipation Base Contact Gate Current Variable Size Cell Gate Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.1H. Suzuki, T. Akiyama, K. Ueno: IEDM Techn. Digest (1984) p.682Google Scholar
- 5.2K. Maemura, T. Takahashi, S. Inoue, Y. Mitsui, S. Orisaka, O. Ishihara, M. Otsubo: IEDM Techn. Digest (1985) p.94Google Scholar
- 5.3W. Brackelmann, H. Fritztsche, H. Ullrich, A. Wieder: IEEE J. SC-20, 1032 (1985)Google Scholar
- 5.4M. Tatsuki, S. Kato, M. Okabe, H. Yakushiji, Y. Kuramistu: IEEE. J. SC-21, 234 (1986)Google Scholar
- 5.5C.Y. Ting: IEDM Techn. Digest (1984) p.110Google Scholar
- 5.6T. Hirao, T. Ikeda, N. Katho: Extended Abstracts of 17th Conf. Solid State Devices and Materials (1985) p.381Google Scholar
- 5.7T. Nishimura, H. Sato, M. Tatsuki, T. Hirao, Y. Kuramitsu: IEEE J. SC-21, 727 (1986)Google Scholar
- 5.8D.M. Dipietro: ISSCC Techn. papers (1975) p.118Google Scholar
- 5.9L.W. Nagel: Electronics Res. Lab. Reports, ERL-M520 (1975)Google Scholar
- 5.10Y. Akasaka, Y. Tsukamoto, T. Sakurai, T. Hirao, Y. Horiba, K. Kijima, H. Nakata: IEDM Techn. Digest (1978) p. 189Google Scholar
- 5.11A. Cuthbertson, P. Ashburn: IEDM Techn. Digest (1984) p.749Google Scholar