MR and Radionuclear Bone Scan in Evaluation of Spinal Metastases
Radionuclear bone scan is presently a widely accepted method of screening for skeletal metastases. Infiltrative lesions of the bone marrow have abnormal metabolism and are depicted as areas of increased or decreased concentration of activity. Demonstration of marrow abnormalities by MR is based on a replacement of a fat tissue by an infiltrative process, giving rise to a decreased intensity of the involved areas, as opposed to a relatively high intensity of the normal vertebra. The aim of this investigation is a comparison of these two modalities in the detection of the spine pathology in patients with suspected metastases.
KeywordsRadionuclide Polyphosphate Metrizamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pendergrass HP, Potsaid MS, Castronovo FP: The clinical use of Tc-diphosphonate (HEDSPA). A new agent for skeletal imaging. Radiology 107:557–562, June 1973.Google Scholar
- 2.Citrin DL, Greig WR, Calder JF, et al: Preliminary experience of bone scanning with Tc-labelled polyphosphate in malignant disease. Br J Surg 61:73:75, Jan 1974.Google Scholar
- 4.Ramsey RG, Huckman MS, Russell EJ, Levine RS. MR in the evaluation of spinal cord compression (Meeting Abstract). Radiology. 1984 153(P) P 292.Google Scholar
- 5.Yu E, Sarpel SC, Ezdinli E. Early diagnosis of spinal epidural metastases by Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) (Meeting Abstract). Proc-Am-Soc-Clin-Oncol. 1986 5. p10.Google Scholar
- 6.Colman L, Redmond J 111, Dunning D, Porter B. Olson D. Stimac G. CT, CT metrizamide Myelography (CT-M) and Magnetic) Resonance Imaging (MR) in the diagnosis of metastases to the axial skeleton (Meeting Abstract). Proc-Annu-Meet-Am-Soc-Clin-Oncol. 1987 6. PA20.Google Scholar
- 7.Krol G, Ginsberg L, Sze G. Vertebral metastases-evaluation with routine spin echo sequences. Twenty-Sixth Annual Meeting. May 1988 p. 42.Google Scholar
- 8.Utz J, Durham NC, Herfkens RJ, From EK, Woodruff III WW. MR imaging of vertebral metastases. RSNA Scientified Program Vol (161) P, Nov 1986.Google Scholar
- 9.Emory TH, Albuquerque NM, Orison, Jr. WW, Lowe BA, Eckel CG, Dell LA. Comparison of Gd-DTPA MR imaging and radionuclide bone scans. RSNA Scientific Program Vol 165 (P), Nov 1987.Google Scholar