Sensitization to Kathon CG in Switzerland: Report of the Swiss Contact Dermatitis Research Group
In 1987, the rate of sensitization to Kathon CG in the six main Swiss Dermatology Clinics was 3.5% (87 positive reactions in 2491 patients). In 1005 tested men, 30 positive reactions were observed (3%), and in 1486 tested women, 57 positive reactions (3.8%). In about one-third of our patients, relevance could be confirmed clinically by the disappearance of dermatitis when the use of Kathon-containing creams was discontinued, by a positive patch test reaction with the Kathon-containing cosmetic, or (in Geneva) by threshold patch testing.
Key wordsKathon CG Isothiazolinones Preservative Patch test Cosmetics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Foussereau J, Brandie I, Boujnah-Khouadja A (1984) Allergisches Kontaktekzem durch Isothia-zolin-3-on-Derivate. Dermatosen 32: 208–211.Google Scholar
- 9.Hunziker N, Favet J, Griffiths W (1987) Contact sensitization to Kathon CG in Geneva. Boll Dermatol Allergol Profession 2: 145–148.Google Scholar
- 11.Pasche F, Hunziker N (1989) Sensitization to Kathon CG in Geneva and Switzerland. Contact Dermatitis (in press).Google Scholar
- 12.Shaw S, Wilkinson JD (1986) Kathon CG — A perspective. 8th international symposium on contact dermatitis, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- 15.Weaver JE, Cardin CW, Maibach HI (1985) Dose-response assessments of Kathon Biocide. (I). Diagnostic use and diagnostic threshold patch testing with sensitized humans. Contact Dermatitis 12: 141–145.Google Scholar