Relationship Between Maternal Glucose Levels and Congenital Malformations in the Infant of the Diabetic Mother
Although there has been considerable improvement in the outcome of pregnancies complicated by diabetes [1–3], the incidence of congenital malformations in infants of diabetic mothers is still three times greater than the rate in the offspring of nondiabetic mothers [4–6]. Because the other problems associated with diabetic pregnancies, such as macrosomia, stillbirths, and intrauterine growth retardation, have been dramatically reduced, malformations have emerged as the most common cause of perinatal death among infants of diabetic women .
KeywordsCongenital Malformation Diabetic Woman Diabetic Mother Situs Inversus Diabetic Pregnancy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Peacock I, Hunter JC, Walford S, Allison SP, Symonds EM, Tattersall RB (1979) Self–monitor¬ing of blood glucose in diabetic pregnancy. Br Med J 1333–1336Google Scholar
- 4.Duncan JM (1982) On puerperal diabetes. Trans Obstet Soc London 24: 256–285Google Scholar
- 5.Molsted-Pedersen L, Tygstrup I, Pedersen J (1966) Congenital malformations in newborn infants of diabetic women. Correlation with maternal diabetic vascular complications. Lancet I: 1124–1162Google Scholar
- 6.Pedersen J (1977) The pregnant diabetic and her newborn, 2nd edn. Copenhagen, Munksgaard, pp 1–280Google Scholar
- 11.Brownscheidle CM, Davies DL (1981) Diabetes in pregnancy: a preliminary study of the pan-creas, placenta and malformations in the BB Wistar rat. Placenta 33 (Suppl): 203–216Google Scholar
- 14.Bennett PH, Webner C, Miller M (1979) Congenital anomalies and the diabetic and pre-diabetic pregnancy. Ciba Found Symp 63: 207Google Scholar
- 15.Marble A, Krall LP, Bradley RF et al. (eds) (1985) Joslin’s diabetes mellitus, 12th edn. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, pp 701–702Google Scholar
- 16.Kucera J (1971) Rate and type of congenital anomalies among offspring of diabetic women. J Reprod Med 7: 61Google Scholar
- 17.Pedersen J (1977) The pregnant diabetic and her newborn. Copenhagen, Munksgaard, p 194Google Scholar
- 20.Mills JL (1987) Congenital malformations in diabetes. Report of the 93rd Ross conference on pediatric research, pp 12–19Google Scholar
- 21.Hoet JJ (1986) The etiology of congenital malformations in the infants of the diabetic mother. In: Jovanovic L, Peterson CM (eds). Diabetes in pregnancy: teratology, toxicology and treatment. Praeger, Philadelphia, pp 72–82Google Scholar