A Historical Review of the Genesis and Early Development of Intrusive Pulse-Echo Ultrasound
The development of semi-invasive instrumentation arose as a logical step to overcome frequency-range resolution and other basic acoustic limitations. These limitations, emerging as the work progressed in laboratory and clinic, followed two primary basic scientific discoveries reported in 1949. These discoveries were (a) sonic energy reflection from both gross and fine histological structure of soft tissues  and (b) observation of differential sonic reflection and acoustic properties of cancerous tissue . Follow-up of these fundamental observations founded the field of diagnostic ultrasound and set the stage for early cancer detection at accessible sites on a screening basis [8–10].
KeywordsAttenuation Rubber Radar Meningioma Clarification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Reid JM, Wild JJ (1956) Current developments in ultrasonic equipment for medical diagnosis. Proc Natl Electron Conf 12: (Also IRE Trans Ultrason Eng 1957) 5: 44Google Scholar
- 6.Wild J J (1949) Report on the use of ultrasonic pulses for the measurement of biological tissues. Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, NovGoogle Scholar
- 8.Wild J J (1978) The use of pulse-echo ultrasound for early tumour detection: history and prospects. In: Hill Cr, McCready VR, Cosgrove DO (eds) Ultrasound in tumour diagnosis. Pitman, Kent, pp 1–26Google Scholar
- 9.Wild JJ (1983) Review of the ultrasonic examination of the breast. In: Jellins J, Kobayashi T (eds) Ultrasonic examination of the breast. Wiley, New York, pp 21–30Google Scholar
- 10.Wild J J (1985) The potential of pulse-echo ultrasound for breast screening. Proceedings, Ultrasonics International, 1985, pp 958–963Google Scholar
- 14.Wild JJ, Reid JM (1957) Progress in the techniques of soft tissue examination by 15 M.C. pulsed ultrasound. Proceedings, symposium on ultrasound in medicine and biology, June 1955. Publication no 3,1957, American Institute of Biological SciencesGoogle Scholar