Common Structural Principles of Ion Channel Proteins
Hydropathy profiles of the available sequences of ion channel proteins (Fig. 1) suggest that ligand-gated and voltage-gated channels each form a structural family. Ligand-gated channel proteins consist of several subunits a combination of which must be inserted into the membrane to provide ligand-gated conductance (Mishina et al., 1984). In contrast, functional voltage-gated sodium channels are already obtained when only the large subunit is expressed (Noda et al., 1986).
KeywordsGlycine Cysteine Acid Number Polypeptide Choline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baumann A, Krah-Jentgens I, Müller R, Muller-Holtkamp F, Seidel R, Kecskemethy N, Casal J, Ferrus A, Pongs O (1987) Molecular organization of the maternal effect region of the Shaker complex of Drosophila: charakterization of an IA channel transcript with homology to vertebrate Na+ channel. EMBO J 6: 3419–3429PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kubo, T., Fukuda, K., Mikami, A., Maeda, A., Takahashi, H., Mishina, M., Haga, T., Haga, K., Ichiyama, A., Kangawa, K., Kojima, M., Matsuo, H., Hirose, T. & Numa, S. (1986) Cloning, sequencing and expression of complementary DNA encoding the muscarinic acetylcholine receptor. Nature 323: 411–416PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Langosch D, Grenningloh G, Schmieden V, Prior P, Malosio M-L, Schmitt B, Betz H (1989) The postsynaptic glycine receptor — a member of the neurotransmitter-gated channel protein family. This volume, pp. 125–130Google Scholar
- Maelicke A (1988) In: Whittaker VP (ed) Structure and Function of the Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 267–313Google Scholar
- Noda M, Shimizu S, Tanabe T, Takai T, Kayano T, Ikeda T, Takahashi H, Nakayama H, Kanaoka Y, Minamino N, Kangawa K, Matsuo H, Raftery MA, Hirose T, Inayama S, Hayashida H, Miyata T, Numa S (1984) Primary structure of Electrophorus electricus sodium channel deduced from cDNA sequence. Nature 312: 121–127PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oberthiir W, Muhn P, Baumann H, Lottspeich F, Wittmann-Liebold B, Hucho F (1986) The reaction site of a non-competitive antagonist in the w-subunit of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. EMBO J 5:(8)1815–1819Google Scholar