Direct Photon Production in pp Collider Experiments
This paper constitutes a review of three recent analyses of high energy pp collider data in which photons produced directly in hard scatter interactions are observed. Techniques of establishing the signal of these “prompt” photons over the background from hadronic decays are discussed. Differential cross-sections are presented as a function of pseudo-rapidity, η, out to transverse energies as high as 100 GeV and they are found to agree with O(α s 2 ) expectations of QCD theory. This also successfully accounts for the predominant event topology, the angular distribution of the photon and, qualitatively, for other features of the rest of the event.
KeywordsTransverse Energy Direct Photon Electromagnetic Shower Charged Multiplicity Fixed Target Experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- NA3 Collaboration, Z. Phys. C31, (1986) 341Google Scholar
- WA70 Collaboration, CERN EP/87-222 (1987)Google Scholar
- NA24 Collaboration, Physics Review D36, (1987) 8.Google Scholar
- UA1 Collaboration, paper under preparation.Google Scholar
- Paper 391, this conference; Physics Letters 209B, (1988) 385.Google Scholar
- Paper 314, this conference; Submitted to Zeitschrift für Physik.Google Scholar
- UA2 Collaboration, Physics Letters 176B, (1986) 239.Google Scholar
- CDF Collaboration, private communication from R.E.Blair and CDF/641.Google Scholar
- UA1 Collaboration, Physics Letters 209B, (1988) 397.Google Scholar
- 9.G.Altareui, Z. Phys. C27, (1985) 349.Google Scholar